PDA

View Full Version : Projects for 4 to 12 year old children

Thomas Canfield
03-01-2004, 8:45 PM
I am fairly new to Saw Mill Creek and have been reading some of the topics and discussion before taking the plunge. There seems to be a lot of different topics and good advise and comments out there.

I am a member in the EastTexas Woodworkers Club in Tyler, TX that meets at the Discovery Science Place (DSP) on the second Monday evening each month. It was suggested that the club could do something for the DSP to help foster woodworking skills for children. The children could be separated into different age and skill level groups and the projects should be something that can be pretty well completed in a 2 to 4 hour work session, or require minimal work to complete after the session. A major concern is safety and that would restrict the use of some tools by the children. The club members could prepare material ahead of the session and demonstrate the use of the power tools to show the preparation.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Steve Inniss
03-01-2004, 9:00 PM
Thomas,

A woodworking project that is usually the most popular with groups of kids, and combines science/nature is a birdhouse. They love to make them, decorate them, and bring them home.

Safety could always be an issue depending on the tools used. One way around this is to supply the parts pre-cut, with the nesting hole drilled. -Steve

Tom Scott
03-01-2004, 10:39 PM
There was an article last year by Paul Sellars (from Homestead Heritage in Waco) in Woodworking magazine about woodworking with kids. He and his son made several projects with hand tools. The only ones I remember are a walking stick and a kitchen spoon.
This past Christmas I helped my kids (ages 9 & 12) make some kitchen utensils for their grandmothers. They each made a spoon and spatula out of cherry. It doesn't take a lot of wood, are fairly easy to make, doesn't take too long, and it's fun for them. They traced a pattern on the wood blank which I then rough cut (you could do this ahead of time). From there all they need are a spokeshave, a gouge (for scooping out the spoon), and some sandpaper. The kids had a lot fun once the shavings started flying, and it's one of those things you can't really mess up.

Tom

Joe Bourbois
03-02-2004, 1:06 AM
The bird house is a good idea. You could try for a bird feeder too. Bird feeders tend to give more immediate results for the kids as they can put it in their yard, throw on some black oil sunflower seed and pretty soon, they can see the birds putting their creation to use.

Another idea is a bug box. This can be a simple screened box with a lid and a latch or as fancy as you can think of. Todd Burch has some pictures of a really nice bug box on his site.

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-02-2004, 11:24 AM
Thomas
Well, you're taxing my brain but:
A "duck shaped" letter holder
cut head off duck through "bill" and glue in "snap" clothes pin
glue duck shape to flat "free form" base board -
fasten with screws (2) or nail - for glue drying time
paint or stain or plain gloss finish

A serving tray
with or without built up edges
3/4 x 3/4 (rounded top edge)
or thin strips along sides 3/16 or 1/4 inch for that age
animal shapes for handles - squirrel, cat, dog 3/4 thick so legs are large enough to use screws from "bottom up" for attachment
use the feet attachment points
grab tray under belly of animal

A letter holder
various animal shapes for sides

Well that's three that I can remember right off the bat

Now older students

A lap writing desk and carrying case
slope lid which lifts to access box
variations -
space for envelopes along rear of box accessible from outside
small drawer for pencils, pens accessible from outside
inside dividers for paper of pencils, stamps, etc.
Daniel
:rolleyes:

Lee Schierer
03-02-2004, 1:02 PM
Kids love to make things, but lose interest quickly if they aren't actually helping. Here's a few ideas.

Bird houses, small step stools, tool tote box, cutting boards

bug houses ( two round or square pieces of wood make the ends, ordinary window screen makes the sides. Lace it shut with fishing line. The door is a large cork or wooden stopper stuck in a hole in one end.)

Tic, tac toe game with holes in wood block and wooden pegs.

Puzzles - glue a magazine picture to a piece of thin ply wood and cut with a scroll saw. It doesn't really matter if the pieces interlock.

Rubber band powered race cars.