PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Settings Conversion

Linda Butterfield
01-21-2008, 2:23 PM
I have a 50 watt laser and in most of my reading on projects, settings are noted for a 35 watt laser. Is there some kind of formula I can use to figure what suggested settings would be using a 50 watt laser?

Joe Pelonio
01-21-2008, 2:27 PM
Not really. It can vary by manufacturer, and by machine. My Epilog Manual shows the settings for several tube powers but it's not likely to be the same for a Universal or Trotec. The best you can do is experiment and make notes, remembering that you can start at lower power/faster speed then a 35 watt.

Zvi Grinberg
01-21-2008, 5:14 PM
If you have a ULS machine...

Universal machines are automatically adapting to the installed laser power.

When you select a material from database, it will set the parameters automatically according to the laser tube's power, and then you have the option to fine tune it for your needs.

Gary Hair
01-21-2008, 7:15 PM
I have a 50 watt laser and in most of my reading on projects, settings are noted for a 35 watt laser. Is there some kind of formula I can use to figure what suggested settings would be using a 50 watt laser?

Linda,
This is one of my pet peeves about engraving settings. It is VERY easy to state the power and speed required for a particular item IF people would do the following.
1. For power, all you have to do is take your rated power times the % power you need to use. ie. My laser is a 30 watt, if I use 50% power then I would say I used 15 watts. This isn't exact but it's very close and makes much more sense than telling someone who doesn't know my laser that I use 50% power.
2. For speed, you need to know the max speed of your machine and if it's different for raster and vector. Mine is 80ips raster and 40ips vector. I know it varies around corners vs straight lines and it has to ramp up and down at the start and end of a line, but it will still work to get someone close. Take the max speed and multiply it by the % speed you use for the project. ie. I used 80% speed on a raster image which translates to 64ips.

If someone needed to approximate the settings I used for this hypothetical project they just need to calculate how to get 15 watts and 64 inches per second. If their machine is a 45 watt, 80ips laser then they would use 33% power and 80% speed.

It doesn't matter that their laser, and mine, may not be exactly what they are rated, these numbers are just to get them a starting point, not the EXACT numbers they need to use.

For you to modify a 35 watt setting to give you a starting point on your 50 watt, you need to do the following:
1. 35 * (whatever % they said they used)
2. Divide the result by 50
This works for whatever power their machine is, just substitute 35 for their actual power.

ie. if they used 80% power, that is really 28 watts (35*.8=28). Your setting would be 28/50 - 56%. You still need to determine the speed setting, but you ARE halfway there!

Gary