PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Hollow Form #12

Steve Schlumpf
01-21-2008, 1:45 PM
This is another piece that came from my ‘homemade’ spalted birch supply. Some of the stock has spalt patterns that are amazing when turned! I highly recommend trying to get some of your wood to spalt. If timed correctly (meaning it’s not so far gone as to become punky) you will have some beautiful wood to work with!

Spalted birch, 5 5/8” high x 8 ½” diameter, sanded to 400 grit, multiple thinned coats of poly.

79768 79769 79770 79771 79772

Comments, critiques and suggestions are always welcome!

Thanks for looking!

TYLER WOOD
01-21-2008, 1:48 PM
Have you posted how to spalt the wood here. Or is the information off site. I would love to learn how to spalt it myself. Only idea I had waas putting some sugar water in a bag with the wood and leave it for a few months. Am I getting warmer?

Bernie Weishapl
01-21-2008, 1:53 PM
Steve that is beautiful. Well done. I am like Tyler and would suggest you post something about spalting.

Bill Bolen
01-21-2008, 1:54 PM
Steve: another great HF! Travis better watch out! Oh! and thanks again for your HF article. I've saved it to my HD...Bill...

Bill Wyko
01-21-2008, 2:04 PM
WOW steve, another fantastic piece. Do you ever sleep? I bet you're knee deep in shavings around your lathe. The wood choice is wonderful. Great finish as well. Keep em' comming.

Ben Gastfriend
01-21-2008, 2:08 PM
Wow! I really like the increased height on this one! And that wood looks amazing. I too liked your tutorial, I printed it right out and saved it in the big fat woodworking file.

Mike A. Smith
01-21-2008, 3:42 PM
Steve, you've hit another one out of the park! Very nice.

John Timberlake
01-21-2008, 3:53 PM
Interesting piece of wood. And very nicely turned. Great form.

Mike Vickery
01-21-2008, 4:13 PM
Beautiful piece Steve.

Steve Campbell
01-21-2008, 4:39 PM
Another wonderful hollow form Steve. One of these days. Ill try one.
Got to love the spalted wood.

Steve

Arlan Ten Kley
01-21-2008, 4:48 PM
Steve your work has been an inspiration! This piece is very pleasing to the eye. Thanks for sharing your work....and your tutorials! I'm on the lookout for some spalted wood now!

Chris Barnett
01-21-2008, 9:38 PM
How would one spalt wood?

Allen Neighbors
01-21-2008, 9:47 PM
Steve, that's exceptionally beautiful wood, and you've done it justice with that form.
Nice job!
I'd like to try to spalt some wood, also.

Tim Brooks
01-22-2008, 7:29 AM
That wood is amazing! Simply beautiful! I cannot wait to turn something with this form!

Steve Schlumpf
01-22-2008, 7:46 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind comments!

For those of you interested in spalting your own wood here are a couple of sources of info:
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=56204

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/industries/spaltedwood/tabid/5255/Default.aspx

There is a lot of info right here on SawMill - just do a search.

I've found that some steps that work to having wood spalt is:

- leave logs in 3' to 4' lengths
- seal the ends
- store horizontally
- store in the shade
- keep moist
- rotate once a month

Once you have a moldy mess on the ends of the log you know that the spalting process is taking place. After that it's just a waiting game to get the spalt lines throughout most of the wood. The longer you wait - the better the art. Problem is that the longer you wait the more deteriorated (punky) the wood becomes.

I have had success with wet bowl blanks by simply placing in a plastic bag and allowing the mold to form. It's a mess but does work.

Remember - the mold can pose a major health risk when breathed! Make sure you wear some sort of equipment to protect your lungs when turning any spalted woods!

steven carter
01-22-2008, 9:39 AM
Beautiful Steve! Man you are really cranking these things out. Great turorial also!

robert hainstock
01-22-2008, 9:47 AM
One thing I'd like the Creekers to know about you neighbor is that metaphoricly speaking one could eat off the floor of your shop anytime your not actially turning. It is special to me to watch you go frpm student to teacher. Rock On! :D:D:D
Bob

Ed Scolforo
01-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Beautiful piece, Steve. Congratulations!

Tom Sherman
01-22-2008, 2:55 PM
All right Steve another excellent form. Great job on the spalting too.

Mark Hulette
01-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Spalting is one of the easiest things in the world to do... all it takes is wood, some shade or tall grass and time.

I sealed one end and put the unsealed end directly on the ground in some tall grass in direct shade. Just check on it/them periodically to ensure it doesn't get too punky on you.

I left my first "batch" out for about 90 days during the spring and part of summer- some of it actually advanced too far (too punky) and exploded on the lathe. :eek:

The rest turned out (pun not intended) fairly good - it was a no muss no fuss deal.