PDA

View Full Version : First Lathe Guidance

Scott Harper
01-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Hello,

I am looking to jump into the lathe vortex for the first time and I am struggling to be sure that I am choosing the right lathe to get started with. Here are the parameters that I am basing my selection on:

* very small garage shop, so smaller is better
* no 220 in the shop
* I am easily scared by reports of problems in these forums. I want to get a tool that I have a very high degree of confidence will be good out of the box.
* given time, I can come up with the funds to get what I want, but in the short run cheaper will be easier to get approval from SWMBO
* I would like enough distance between the centers to be able to turn long handles for gouges
* I have never turned before, so I am not 100% what I will want to do. The initial interest that is driving this purchase is to do segmented bowls and vessels.
* I am anxious to get a lathe and get my feet wet

Based on these criteria, I have narrowed my choices down to 2 lathes: the Jet 1220 and the Nova 1624. Obviously, the Nova has several attributes that would be desirable (slower speed, more swing, more power, etc), however it would take up a little more space in my shop and I am unsure how soon I could get approval to spend that much. If it will work, the Jet would fit my shop and current finances better.

My concern is that I do not want to get something that will not be up to the task of segmented bowl turning. I am hoping that someone can either alay or confirm my fears about the Jet:

1) Does it have enough power and rigidity to work a 10" finished diameter segmented bowl? I am concerned about this because a segmented bowl will probably not allow me to use the tailstock to help support the blank.
2) Is the slow speed of 500 rpm slow enough?
3) Am I going to miss the swiveling headstock on the Nova?
4) Is there anything else about the 1220 that I should be concerned about?

Thanks,
Scott Harper

David Walser
01-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Scott,

This is your last chance to escape the vortex! Run now, while you still can!

Assuming you're not going to listen to that warning. The Jet should be able to do all you describe. Segmented turnings, in general, do not require as much power from your lathe as would a similar sized piece turned from solid wood. The reason is that you normally turn the inside of segmented piece one layer at a time (as you are gluing it up). This means your tools don't extend over the toolrest nearly as far as they would with a solid wood turning. In addition, because you build up the segmented piece one layer at a time, it is basically "true" from the start. You don't have all the vibration associated with trying to "turn round" a large mass of out-of-balance solid wood. So, given that the Jet can turn a 10" solid bowl, it should be able to handle a 10" segmented piece without problem.

The Nova has more capacity, but the Jet might meet your current requirements better.

Hope this helps.

robert hainstock
01-21-2008, 12:45 PM
I cannot be of much help because I am not familiar with either machine, but can tell you what most will, bigger is better.
I have a lathe with a swiveling headstock which feature has never been used. Most time the lathes with that feature do not have enough power to swing the larger workpiece. Mine at 3/4 hsp certainly does not . :)

welcome to the vortex
Bob

Gordon Seto
01-21-2008, 1:03 PM
Scott,

The Jet 1220 is coming up with the electronic variable speed that starts at 270 rpm. The EVS feature is a very desirable feature.
If you want to take full advantage of the swiveling head stock of the Nova to do outboard turning, you need a outrigger accessory ($270 listed at Woodcraft):
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathe_Accessories/Outrigger/out.htm

The new EVS 1220 is not yet available yet.
http://www.osolnikmachinery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=648
According to past history, Jet has very good service.

Bernie Weishapl
01-21-2008, 1:16 PM
Scott if space is a factor the Jet 1220 will do just fine in a small place. It has a 12" swing and 20" long spindle. A bed extension will get you almost 50". I would go with the bed extension because I don't like removing the tailstock all the time for hollowing with a short bed lathe. Just me. As I get older things get heavier.:eek: If you can wait as Gordon said the Jet 1220 will have variable speed which is nice and I think they are due out next month. Just my thoughts.

Scott Harper
01-21-2008, 1:21 PM
The convenience and slower speed would be great on the EVS model. However, I have read that the VS version of the Jet mini has less power than the regular version. Do you suspect that that will be the case for the EVS 1220?

Scott

Gordon Seto
01-21-2008, 1:47 PM
The 1014VS has only ½ hp. The old Jet 1236 (not recommended) is also 3/4 HP. You just take as heavy a cut as your lathe is capable of. On a smaller lathe, you can only turn a smaller bowl and there is less wood to rough out.

If you hog, you can stall almost any lathe. At a Bill Grumbine's demo, he said he can stall even his new American Beauty Robust with the 3/4" Thompson V bowl gouge. That is a high end, high horsepower, high $ lathe.

Don McIvor
01-21-2008, 2:43 PM
I don't have experience with either of the lathes you mention, but I have turned on a Nova DVR for about 3 years now. I thought I should add to this dialog to expound on a point made by a couple of other posters regarding a swiveling head stock.

I don't have the outrigger for the Nova, in part because it is hard for me to come by wood large enough to warrant outboard turning. However, I use the swivel feature quite a bit, finding it quite handy for reaching under the openings of enclosed forms without having to bend over the lathe. It also comes in handy for sanding. I certainly don't use the feature for every piece I make, but I wouldn't discount its usefulness in the absence of the outrigger accessory.

Bill Stevener
01-21-2008, 3:19 PM
Scott, from your post, the final analysis is. Slow down, save your pennies, be nice to SWMBO and I am sure you will be happier with the Nova. :)

Scott Harper
01-22-2008, 4:45 PM
No doubt I would be happier with the Nova over just the Jet. However, would I be happier still if I got the Jet and spent the difference on a Rikon bandsaw or Performax sander?

Scott