PDA

View Full Version : Which L-N block plane to buy?

Jack Hogoboom
01-21-2008, 11:25 AM
I already have the non-adjustable, low angle block plane. After reading Chris Schwarz's workbench book, I'd like to get the adjustable mouth plane. I expect to use it mostly for cleaning up surface grain. Should I get the low-angle version or the regular plane?

Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

Michael Fross
01-21-2008, 11:42 AM
End grain work would be better handled by a low angle block plane in my humble opinion. The angle would better sever the wood fibers than a standard one.

I have the lee valley low angle block and it does a great job on end grain and pretty much everything else I throw at it. It is my most used and favorite plane.

I would go the LA route.

Michael

Jason King
01-21-2008, 11:51 AM
If you will mostly be using it for face grain, and you already have a LA plane for endgrain, I would recommend the standard angle plane. I have a standard angle and use it all the time. The higher angle of the plane will allow you to more easily plane "difficult" woods.

Mike Cutler
01-21-2008, 12:08 PM
I already have the non-adjustable, low angle block plane. After reading Chris Schwarz's workbench book, I'd like to get the adjustable mouth plane. I expect to use it mostly for cleaning up surface grain. Should I get the low-angle version or the regular plane?

Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

If you already have the 102, and you're happy with it. I would go ahead and get the 9 1/2. You can always buy an extra blade and re-bevel it for low angle functions.
Hmm... Would it work better to rebevel to a steeper angle with a 60 1/2, or a lower angle with a 9 1/2??

If it's surface grain cleanup you're primarily looking for. Have you considered the cabinet scraper, or a 4, or 4 1/2 smoother with a higher pitch?
So many nice planes to choose from.:D,;).

Danny Thompson
01-21-2008, 5:23 PM
Surely it's easier to rebevel a steeper angle with a 60 1/2!? Right? Just like all those Lee Valley and Lie Nielsen Bevel-Up Smoothers, Jacks, and Jointers. They are all Low Angle, but encourage secondary bevels to achieve standard or even York pitch as needed.