PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Legs to Pedestal Base

Joe Lasch
01-21-2008, 8:20 AM
What is the best way of attaching legs to a pedestal base for a table? I am making a square hollow pedestal, and need to attach the four legs to it without showing mounting hardware. Lee Valley has some tper connectors that I think might work - just not sure if they are strong enough for this application. Any other suggestions?:confused:

Jamie Buxton
01-21-2008, 10:47 AM
The traditional solution is a sliding dovetail, or a mortise-and-tenon. No metal is necessary.

Bob Lang
01-21-2008, 12:21 PM
If it's a dining table, the common method is to put two dowel screws (wood screw thread on one end, 1/4-20 machine screw threads on the other end) into the end of the legs. Then drill holes in the faces of the pedestal and use wingnuts to hold the legs in place.

Bob Lang

Joe Lasch
01-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Two good options - both better than the hanger brackets I was looking at. Thanks!

andy Needles
01-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Another creative way to do this- although the legs are not detachable, is to use a gouge to carefully peel up a small area from the top, like peeling the skin off of a potato, and countersink screws into the mortised table leg from the top. Then you glue down the peeled area and off you go. :)

Jim Becker
01-21-2008, 12:54 PM
The traditional solution is a sliding dovetail,

This was going to be my response, too. Very strong and when done well, totally invisible.