PDA

View Full Version : Source for plans for a grandfather clock?

dennis thompson
01-21-2008, 7:00 AM
Does anyone know of a good source for plans for a grandfather clock
Thanks
Dennis

Mark Berenbrok
01-21-2008, 7:34 AM
Lonnie Bird had a nice Pennsylvania clock in Fine Woodworking 171 & 172. Shoot me an e-mail if you need a xerox.

Craig D Peltier
01-21-2008, 10:29 AM
I alos have two plans , I know one is shaker style with shelves under it behind glass. Neither one are ornate. Thats not my thing. If you need them I can scan and email them to you if you ask.

Rod Torgeson
01-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Dennis......I believe Klockit has plans for grandfather clocks. A friend of mine got some plans a few years back from them and made the clock.
http://www.klockit.com/depts/GrandfatherClockKits/dept-36.html

Hope this helps.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Brian Backner
01-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Dennis, An absolutely spectacular Pennsylvania tall case clock with very detailed plans is available in one of Glen Huey's books: http://www.amazon.com/Hueys-Illustrated-Building-Period-Furniture/dp/1558707700/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200935294&sr=1-1 Brian

Carl Eyman
01-21-2008, 1:27 PM
After I sent you the PM I stopped by my shop and found I had a bunch of plans. The one I made and referred you to the picture was from Armor Crafts in East Northport NY (616) 462-6228. I also have plans for a nice period clock from Willard House clock museum in Massachusetts. They are very detailed as to giving construction details. Then I have a reprint from Fine Woodworking Nov./Dec. 1985 On a Newport Style Tall Clock by Robert Effinger. It is very similar to the one I built except it has 3 finials on the bonnet. Lastly, I have "How to Build 35 Clocks" by Joseph Daniele that has 3 tall clocks - a New England grandmothers, a Shaker, and a Pennsylvania Dutch. You can have any or all of these for the cost of postage.

Here is one tip I learned at the Williamsburg "Working Wood in 17th Century" the year they did tall clocks. Get your closkworks before you build the clock to be sure it fits