PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection data

Jack Porter
01-21-2008, 12:29 AM
With all of the dust collection threads and topics coming up, I suggest that we start collecting data on dust collection . This was spurred by the group buy of the DC1100 particle counter.

I think our goal should be to determine what systems have the most significant effect of reducing airborne particulate matter.

We obviously are not doctors or in the business of producing a medical case study (as far as I know). However, if we can at least track the most effective dust collection systems, we all will benefit.

There are plenty of web sites that give direction on dust collection, however, if we can start logging a study of actual shops, I think it will be very beneficial.

A study may have already been conducted on "subject shops", however, I think we would all like to see results from actual shops. The difference would be that the data would not weigh so heavily on design of systems (cfm, SP, fpm, ect) but performace of systems. If people are interested in this we should start a new thread with a poll to isolate the variables...shop size, dust collection system, max duct run, hp, impeller size, etc.

I know many people have this topic on their minds, it would be great to hear everyone's thoughts. I don't think that the study requires a paticulate meter, other variables could help measure dust collection effeciency, such as... DC system type, filter type, filter changes per month/year/decade (who knows), times shop needs to be "blown out", allergic reactions, complaints from the wife/husband, etc....

Thoughts are appreciated.

Art Mann
01-21-2008, 9:29 AM
I think you will have a hard time collecting meaningful data in the scientific sense, because there are too many uncontrolled variables to consider. Each design and installation is different and some are much better than others. You also have the issue of maintenance of filters and things like that which can drastically alter test results. It will not be possible to combine data from multiple shops in any meaningful way. That is not to say that anecdotal evidence is not useful. I would like to hear from all the people who bought dust detectors. I think they can provide a lot of insight as to best practices and general rules of thumb. I just think it would be very easy to come to a false conclusion about which system is best based on such information. The truth is controlled experiments are the only way to do that. Many magazines have attempted to do that with varying levels of success.

David Parker
01-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi Jack,

I agree with you about the need to collect real world data. While a rigorous scientific comparison between brands of DC is not feasible, it certainly would be helpful if people could report particle counts under various conditions in their shops in addition to a detailed description of their dust management setup.

Do you really need a powerful cyclone system to eliminate fine dust (0.5 micron range)? Do air scrubbers really get rid of the sub micron particles or just recirculate them? Can you use your cyclone system as an air scrubber too? What happens to the air in the rest of the house when you get dust in your basement shop?

Having lots of reports from those who purchase their Dylos particle counters would be very helpful in real world answers to some difficult questions. Once people start reporting their findings, we could fine tune the type of data that would be most helpful to us.

Art Mann
01-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Do you really need a powerful cyclone system to eliminate fine dust (0.5 micron range)? Do air scrubbers really get rid of the sub micron particles or just recirculate them? Can you use your cyclone system as an air scrubber too? What happens to the air in the rest of the house when you get dust in your basement shop?

That is exactly the kind of information I would hope that some of the guys who bought the meters will report on.

Greg Peterson
01-21-2008, 12:45 PM
I think those of us that have participated in the group purchase of the Dylos particle counter have an active interest in controlling fine particulate matter in our shops/homes.

The general awareness of the benefits of fine dust control is trending upward.

With folks out there in the real world now being able to monitor particulate matter counts in their shops, collectively we may be able to find some more effective ways of controlling fine dust. Some principle practices may evolve, through active monitoring, that will benefit many that do not/ can not monitor their shop space.

If I am able to reduce .5 micron particulates by altering a practice or augmenting my equipment in a specific way, many can benefit from such information.

While it is unlikely that any or most of our shops represent an ideal controlled environment, collectively we should be able to compare techniques, practices and equipment that are proven to reduce particulate matter.

The time has come to elevate DC from chipping collecting to controlling fine dust.