PDA

View Full Version : Are square dogs worth the trouble?

Matt Lentzner
01-20-2008, 11:10 PM
I'm planning my workbench, and I was wondering if square bench dogs are worth the trouble. Since it's not something easily retrofitted, I need to know if I want to put them in or not.

Just interested in people's opinions,

Thanks,

Matt

Marcus Ward
01-21-2008, 7:01 AM
yes, put them in. You can stick a round dog in a square hole but not vice versa.

Steve Thomas
01-21-2008, 7:53 AM
I've got round holes in all 6 of my benchs at our workshop, and I keep a veritas bench pup in my apron, good to go anytime it's needed. I've never had any trouble at all.
I've also got square dog in my bench at home, no trouble either...

Sorry that doesn't help squat...

Long story short, no it hasn't worried me.

Steve Thomas
01-21-2008, 7:54 AM
Oh and they are heaps easier to fit... Just drill them in after your done.

Jim Holman
01-21-2008, 8:18 AM
I made mine with square dogs and have never regretted it. Replacements can be made in 10 minutes from scrap hardwood. I like the fact that the dog cannot twist in the hole. That said I have never used a bench with round dog holes.

Marcus Ward
01-21-2008, 9:42 AM
I have round holes in my bench too. When I find I need a place to stick a holdfast after several operations that call for it in a certain spot, I drill a hole for one. But my dogs are square hole. I don't think a round dog will twist once pressure is on it but I still prefer square. It's easy to make replacements and you can easily fit a spring from an old bandsaw blade.

Jim Holman
01-21-2008, 10:31 AM
The best source of springs, IMO are from steel banding like that used to secure loads to pallets. Usually free and easy to bend to shape. I make a 2 small slits in the side of the dog about 2" apart and bind the "spring" to fit.

Jesse Cloud
01-21-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm planning my workbench, and I was wondering if square bench dogs are worth the trouble. Since it's not something easily retrofitted, I need to know if I want to put them in or not.

Just interested in people's opinions,

Thanks,

Matt

Hey Matt,
Square bench dogs aren't that much trouble. When you make your apron, make it from two laminated pieces. Before you laminate, cut dadoes where you want the dog holes. Use an indexing pin like with a finger joint jig to ensure equal spacing on both sides. When you glue it up, you will have square dog holes twice the depth of the dado. Pop off any squeezeout before the glue dries hard and you are done.

Bruce Page
01-21-2008, 1:22 PM
They weren’t worth it to me. I used ¾” round holes and don’t regret it.

Thomas Pender
01-21-2008, 3:06 PM
I learned from Garrett Hack's Hand Plane book the advantage of using hand made square dogs - if the plane nicks it, so what and they are cheap and easy to make. (He has photos of them in his book.) It is easy to just tack or screw in a wooden spring into the side of the dog. Guess this means I have a preference for square dogs.

Michael Hammers
01-21-2008, 4:19 PM
I think are better IMHO. They resist twisting and the slight possibility of becoming mishapen over time. I think it makes more sense with the slight angle also.

Making the square ones is not that bad. I simply figured out the direct center of my tail vise, then split the 3/4" dog on each side.

That let me know excatly how to define the two pieces that will be both the face and one "half" of the dog hole strip. Select your two pieces for that.

Once you have that info, carefully lay out the holes to make sure they do not interfere with the vise works to come.

I then took some MDF, and ripped a piece about 12" long and the THICKNESS of the bench. so I cut the piece 12" x 4 1/4" (was 4 1/4" in my case the thickness of my bench)

Then went to the mitre saw and cut the piece in half at a slight angle. So now I had to make the "blip" at the top of the dog that keeps it from falling through the bench. I took one side and routed a down enough to sink the blip about 1" below the top and making the blip about 1/4" (not getting to crazy I sort of just eyed it).

So now you have two pieces, one straight and one has a slight blip. Putting the bench piece on it's side, I put a spacer of scrap wood 1" (this is to account for the collar which in my case added 1/4" total to my measurments) thick in between the two pieces to space them and them clamped 'em up. Make sure your angle is LEANING TOWARDS the tail vise.
I brad nailed the two pieces straddling the bench onto a longer piece making it one unit. I could then remove the scrap piece and had my spacing. Now you can just slide the jig up and down the piece.

All you need now is a router and a collar, set your depth and you are ready to cut doggy holes. After you cut them, you glue the "face" piece to cover the holes and...voila!
I really reccomend looking at Kieth Rucker's bench plans.

Brian Knop
01-22-2008, 12:03 AM
What trouble? I have square holes set at a slight angle and made my own square dogs. This christmas I bought two steel square dogs from Lee Valley. I really like them. Even better.

glenn bradley
01-22-2008, 12:44 AM
I use 3/4" round. My shop made dogs have a flat face so they are self aligning on odd shaped pieces like rounds or triangles or whatever.