PDA

View Full Version : Router TS Wing..Almost done..Question

matt pickston
01-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Hi All

Almost fisnished addding a router wing to my TS. Wing is a made and fitted. I now need to cut the hole and add the recess to except the plate.

What is the best way to do both of the above? I was planning on laying out the planning on copying the outline of the router plate and cutting insde of it by 3/8. Then using the oruter to make the rabbit.

RIght way? Also, does the plate get screwed down. Can't tell from any of the photos I've looked at. I assume so.

Bob Feeser
01-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Matt,
The challenge is to get the lip routed out to accept the lip of the router insert, and still be level with the table top. Some use shims to try and level the insert, but I borrowed an idea I learned when I bought my Bench Dog router table extension for table saws. They use melamine screws with flat ends on them, to give you custom adjustability. You just rout deeper then what you need, and let the screws do the leveling. It is great for getting your insert, perfectly flush with the top, and still maintain easy adjustablity.
http://inlinethumb14.webshots.com/5325/2218059950100733997S600x600Q85.jpg

Oddly enough I have found the change of the seasons brings with it humidity changes, that can affect the levelness of the router insert.
So now you are concentrating on getting the outside circumference of your cut out nice and tight. The best way to do that is to use a template. Thin material such as masonite sheets, or 1/4 inch ply will do. Calculating the offset of the template guide, you can actually figure out the dimensions of your pattern. If you are interested, I can walk you through the formula for figuring that out. Once you see how nice the Bench Dog system is for installing router insert plates, you will never want to do it any other way. I wonder where they saw it first?

Jon Todd
01-21-2008, 12:13 AM
Hi All

Almost fisnished addding a router wing to my TS. Wing is a made and fitted. I now need to cut the hole and add the recess to except the plate.

What is the best way to do both of the above? I was planning on laying out the planning on copying the outline of the router plate and cutting insde of it by 3/8. Then using the oruter to make the rabbit.

RIght way? Also, does the plate get screwed down. Can't tell from any of the photos I've looked at. I assume so.

What type of router plate is it ? Brand?

matt pickston
01-21-2008, 8:06 AM
I have a Jasper 720 designed to ift several differet routers. My router is a PC 690.