PDA

View Full Version : Mobile base for floor-model drill press?

Harry Hagan
01-20-2008, 9:22 PM
Has anyone thought of a safe and easy way to move a top-heavy drill press? (74” tall and 230 lbs.)

I have a floor crane for pulling engines but that isn’t easy or convenient.

Steven DeMars
01-20-2008, 9:54 PM
Moving a drill press can be very dangerous without help. I learned the hard way. I almost dropped mine on me. Lucky for me a friend was visiting @ the time.

The best idea I have come up with and what I intend to build is a square tube frame to support the entire unit. Basically keeping the bottom base as close to the floor as possible. 1/2" would be perfect. Use casters on all four corners. Foldout locking outriggers on both sides during transit. You would also need to have at least two screw down feet to keep it from rolling when stationary.

This idea is only feasible if you have access to a welder. I do now, just finished a welding class and bought a Millermatic 251 MIG.I'll let you know how it goes. Although, I must admit it is not at the top of my project list.

Cary Falk
01-20-2008, 10:00 PM
I haven't had any problems with my drill press on a mobile base.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0011.jpg

Steve Mellott
01-20-2008, 10:37 PM
I use a Harbor Freight hand truck to move my drill press. Using the hand truck, I don't have to worry about it being top heavy and tipping over. Works very well.

Jamie Buxton
01-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Mine sits on a home-brew which is essentially a furniture dolly with good casters. What might knock the top-heavy thing over is abrupt stops. That's why good casters are essential.

Harry Hagan
01-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Cary, your drill press base looks like mine (Delta). Where did you get the mobile base?

Randal Stevenson
01-20-2008, 11:43 PM
At my local Borg, they have it bolted through a larger piece of plywood. That is placed in a larger mobile base when they have needed to move it.

Paul Coffin
01-21-2008, 12:13 AM
I purchased a large mobile base from Grizzly, then I found a large rectangular .75 inch thick steel plate at the local steel yard and mounted the plate in the mobile base. I then tapped holes for the drill press and mounted the dril press on the plate. I was prepared to add more weight to the base but it is quite stable as it is. Here is a picture:

Rick Thom
01-21-2008, 12:28 AM
Harry, I bought a used delta 900 series which is probably about comparable to yours in size and weight. The manual suggested if you were going to go mobile , bolt the dp to a min 3/4" thick veneer core plywood that is 3" larger (in each direction) than the metal base of the dp. I chose the medium size (500 lb ? capacity) Shop Fox because it was the most ridgid and lowest I could find, and very reasonable price @ $50 I think. I regularly move the dp around in the shop and no fear what so ever of any tipping etc.It's very solid and secure, especially with the larger foot print.

glenn bradley
01-21-2008, 12:38 AM
Here's mine with ballast: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57448

JayStPeter
01-21-2008, 7:34 AM
I made a 2x frame with a cross member to lag bolt the base onto. I put a piece of ply and used one of the Rockler mobile bases on it. I built a platform to go over the DP base and put some drawers there for storage. The drawers come off easily if I need the table that low, but that hasn't happened in 4 yrs.

Jay
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8873&d=1090204447

Harry Hagan
01-21-2008, 8:49 AM
Thanks everyone for your solutions to easily move a drill press without risking life and limb. You’ve taken the guesswork out of the project. I knew a mobile base would work if it was large enough but my small garage doesn’t permit the base to be much larger than the recommended minimal size.
My drill press will be more functional and no longer relegated to a corner imitating a statue.

Cary Falk
01-21-2008, 9:29 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Cary, your drill press base looks like mine (Delta). Where did you get the mobile base?

It is actually a Steel City DP. The base is an HTC2000.

Steven Wilson
01-21-2008, 9:35 AM
Harry, the mobil options are only safe when you have a flat floor. Where I normally keep my drill press the floor has a pronounced slope so that everytime the drill press is moved the leveling feet need major adjusting. I had a mobil base (like Paul's) but it wasn't very stable during or after a move. It made more sense to remove it, keep the DP in one place, and level it properly.

glenn bradley
01-21-2008, 1:02 PM
I made a 2x frame with a cross member to lag bolt the base onto. I put a piece of ply and used one of the Rockler mobile bases on it. I built a platform to go over the DP base and put some drawers there for storage. The drawers come off easily if I need the table that low, but that hasn't happened in 4 yrs.

Jay
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8873&d=1090204447

Minor thread-jack. Jay, what a simple and elegant solution. I have been pondering a platform for the often unused space under the DP table but seeing yours really cemented the idea for me.

JayStPeter
01-21-2008, 8:39 PM
Minor thread-jack. Jay, what a simple and elegant solution. I have been pondering a platform for the often unused space under the DP table but seeing yours really cemented the idea for me.

It's worked out nicely for sure. There's lots of stuff in those drawers. If you choose to use the LV drawers that I did, do some measuring. The drawer that's open is the deepest one and has my Forstner bits standing on end in it. I had to leave some extra space to fit them standing that way so there is a slight gap between that drawer and the next one up. The Rockler carbide forstners that I've slowly been replacing the cheap set with are too long to fit. I will probably find another spot for the forstners soon.