PDA

View Full Version : Shaper dangers

Dave Norris
01-20-2008, 8:47 PM
Hi again Everyone,
As you might have seen earlier, I'm in th market for a shaper. I've been doing a lot of reading up on the safety aspects, and I was wondering if perhaps I could get some feedback on what those dangers are exactly and how to avoid them? I'm able to have a shop teacher friend of mine give me a few lessons, but before I get to that point, I'm curious.

I get the obvious danger of 10,000 rpm + carbide cutters + fingers = bad day, and like anything spinning with 3hp + that kick back is also something to consider, and I suspect that loose knives in a molding head would turn out badly... what else is there to pay attention to?

Thanks!

Mike Marcade
01-20-2008, 8:49 PM
I would say watch the climb cuts and fence traps just like on a router table.

Randy Dutkiewicz
01-20-2008, 9:14 PM
The best way to prevent any type of injury sustained from using a shaper would be to also invest in a power feeder. They are a MUST when working with a shaper.:)

john frank
01-20-2008, 9:38 PM
As with working with any tools, common sense and use of guards saves headaches and fingers. I agree with the last poster that a power feed is very handy and a safe way to operate a shaper, but its not essential.
I've had a power feeder for many years and use it with my shaper as well as on my table saw when I have lots of ripping to do. Its been definitely worth every penny I paid for it. It helps in aiding accuracy as well as the definite safety advantages. It's drawbacks are the high cost and the sheer weight of it when moving it around. Still though, I'd be lost without one.

Justin Bukoski
01-20-2008, 10:20 PM
In the past shapers were known for ejecting knives from cutter heads. Newer cutter heads avoid this problem. The biggest danger these days is kickback - that's why a power feeder is such a good idea.

M Toupin
01-20-2008, 10:43 PM
The same safety aspects that apply to a router table apply to a shaper, common sense being at the top of the list. No, a feeder is not mandatory and is not even usable in some applications, others its not practical. like everything, a power feed has a time and a place. If you're getting getting kickback then you're doing something wrong. Learn how to properly use the machine rather than using a power feed to try and overcome one's improper methods. This applies to all tools, not just the shaper.

Mike

Joe Chritz
01-20-2008, 11:02 PM
A shaper is in practice a router table on steroids.

If you plan on taking big cuts, especially with a raised panel bit then get a feeder. I have an 1/8 HP feeder and it is ok for stick cuts but doesn't handle a full depth raised panel cut very well. It will do it but it is at the edge of the ability.

Two pass raised panels are no problem, as is climb cutting a rail in one pass if needed.

Joe

Paul Simmel
01-20-2008, 11:09 PM
The same safety aspects that apply to a router table apply to a shaper, common sense being at the top of the list. No, a feeder is not mandatory and is not even usable in some applications, others its not practical. like everything, a power feed has a time and a place. If you're getting getting kickback then you're doing something wrong. Learn how to properly use the machine rather than using a power feed to try and overcome one's improper methods. This applies to all tools, not just the shaper.

Mike

^^^ Absolutely.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21N2EV8SHGL._PIlitb-dp-arrow,TopRight,21,-23_SH30_OU01_AA115_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Shaper-Handbook-Roger-W-Cliffe/dp/0941936694/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200888378&sr=1-1)
Shaper Handbook (http://www.amazon.com/Shaper-Handbook-Roger-W-Cliffe/dp/0941936694/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200888378&sr=1-1) by Roger W. Cliffe and Michael J. Holtz (Paperback - Feb 2002)

J.R. Rutter
01-20-2008, 11:28 PM
I use all of my shapers for linear profiles - with the fence and guard/shroud in place. Since they are all used this way, they all have a power feeder mounted and used. For this type of work, I have 2 suggestions.

First, when doing cuts like rail/stile grooving, use an outboard fence clamped to the table that the outside of the strip that you are machining. This way, you can trim to exact width (as determined by the spacing of the outboard fence from the cutters) and avoid having to mess with fence offsets and snipe.

Second, make a fence that has a continuous strip of aluminum at the bottom for the edges of raised panels to register on. With a feeder, you can safely run panel cutters above the table to get consistent edge thickness. The unshaped portion rides along on the strip and never dives into the cutter.

I don't do bearing guided freehand shaping much, but if you need to do this, make sure that the workpiece is firmly attached to the jig. The jig needs to extend past the workpiece at the beginning and end of the cut to avoid catching and kickback. Then make sure that you have hand holds that keep your fingers out of harm's way. I've done table legs, etc. with 4" high insert cutterheads and felt safe.

The Cliffe's book is a good one. Lonnie Bird has another that is similar and also good.

Be safe!

Steven Wilson
01-21-2008, 12:42 AM
I've started using my shaper for making tennons and having a sliding table (combo saw/shaper unit) greatly improves safety because the wood is clamped to the sliding table and hands are nowhere near the operation.

Rod Sheridan
01-21-2008, 8:16 AM
In my opinion, shapers are no more dangerous than router tables, perhaps even less dangerous.

A shaper has the ability to swing a large diameter cutter, which gives you optimum cutting geometry, reducing the chance of kickback.

Jigs, guards and hold downs are a necessity, as well as safe work practices. Mould an edge on a wider board, rip the finished moulding off on a tablesaw to avoid running small items on the shaper is one strategy.

As was suggested, purchase a couple of shaper books, or borrow them from the local library.

A power feeder is nice, I have one and use it on the shaper and tablesaw, however it isn't needed for a lot of work.

The lack of vibration, split fence, reversible spindle rotation and the ability to use HSS knives in a cutter head make the shaper far superior to, and about the same cost as a good router and pre-made router table.