PDA

View Full Version : Tablesaw cabinet material

Doug Jones
03-01-2004, 5:51 PM
I've seen a lot of you folks tablesaw cabinets and you have inspired me to do something along the same line with my contractor saw this spring/summer. My question is, would 3/4" pine make a good durable cabinet? I have access to lots of pine lumber (actually they are pallets that have not seen any outdoor weathering).
TIA, Doug

Todd Burch
03-01-2004, 8:02 PM
Doug, if pine is what you have, pine is what you should use! Joint it well and fasten it good.

Doug Jones
03-01-2004, 8:30 PM
Doug, if pine is what you have, pine is what you should use! Joint it well and fasten it good.
Thanks for the reply Todd. Its not that pine is the only thing I have, its just I can't justify paying for wood for a cabinet out in the shop when free wood is readily available. My question was would pine stand up to the demands of a table saw as well as the weight?

Chris Padilla
03-01-2004, 8:46 PM
Doug,

I think the pine will be fine as long as you design a strong, sturdy cabinet and finish it appropriately. One can make sturdy, long-lasting cabinets out of darn-near anything with some forethought into the design.

If I had a pile of basically free pile of wood you can bet your bottom-dollar that I would attempt to use it wherever I could.

Don't let the fact that it is called a softwood scare you at all. Go for it. I've seen plenty of floors made from pine, siding for barns, and even my front door is all douglas fir.

Tyler Howell
03-01-2004, 8:56 PM
Doug,
Those pine pallets will be around long after the end of the world. My observation in trying to salvage some of the wood from pallets is they are put together so tough they that you will invest a lot of energy and time and may damage more lumber than recover. What is your time worth??
Good Luck, be sure to post some pics