PDA

View Full Version : Table saw disassembly question

Tom Henderson2
01-20-2008, 8:30 PM
Good evening everyone.

The basic question is, how do you remove the tilt knob on a mid-sixties Craftsman contractor saw? I have removed the set-screw, and it turns easily on the shaft. But it won't budge axially when I try to remove it from the shaft. Any thoughts?

Here is the background:

The saw is a mid-sixties Craftsman table saw, model 113-29901

It was my fathers, and has never been abused but has sat idle for the last seven years or so.

I want to give it a good inspection and cleaning, so I turned it upside down on the garage floor and prepared to remove the base. The first step was to remove the elevation knob; I loosened the one setscrew and off it came.

I'm having trouble with the tilt knob though. I removed the set screw, and now the knob *spins* easily. But I can't pull it off the shaft.

I tried very light prying pressure using a screwdriver, but the knob didn't budge. Since it spins easily it isn't a tight fit keeping it in place; it feels like something else is retaining it. But I can't for the life of me figure out what.

I have the owner's manual/parts diagram (courtesy of OWWM.com) and don't see what could be hanging it up unless there is something buried in there associated with the bearing/bracket that is fixed to the housing.

So if any body has some suggestions (other than pry harder) I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance!

-Tom H.
Ventura, CA

Mike Marcade
01-20-2008, 8:52 PM
Have you tried a gear puller? Maybe you could post a pic? or a link to the parts list.

Tom Henderson2
01-21-2008, 12:25 AM
Have you tried a gear puller? Maybe you could post a pic? or a link to the parts list.

Hi Mike-

The tilt wheel fits onto the shaft with a blind hole, so there is nothing a puller can push on unless I drill a hole in it. I can try to post a photo tomorrow.

At this point, I think I'll probably just leave sleeping dogs lie. I can do most of what I want without removing the base, which means the wheels can stay where they are....

-Tom H.

Bob Wingard
01-21-2008, 12:34 AM
I believe older models of that saw had a round shaft for both tilt and elevation that had a flat on the outboard end that was to accept the setscrew. Sounds like someone maybe tightened the setscrew down on the round part of the shaft, raising a burr. If you ca get a little oil & fine valve-grinding compoung or mast any fine grit down in the hole, you should be able to work it enough to erase the burr. Keep turning while pulling .. .. it should come off.

Tom Henderson2
01-21-2008, 1:14 AM
I believe older models of that saw had a round shaft for both tilt and elevation that had a flat on the outboard end that was to accept the setscrew. Sounds like someone maybe tightened the setscrew down on the round part of the shaft, raising a burr. If you ca get a little oil & fine valve-grinding compoung or mast any fine grit down in the hole, you should be able to work it enough to erase the burr. Keep turning while pulling .. .. it should come off.

Hi Bob-

I suspect you are correct -- the knob does indeed fit onto a round shaft, with a flat for the set screw. I hadn't thought about a burr or the like on the shaft, but it sure makes sense.

I've pulled as hard as I can, and pryed as hard as I dare, and the knob hasn't come off the shaft a bit. But it does spin quite freely.

As I mentioned in a previous response, I'm about ready to just leave well enough alone; I can do most of what I want to do without removing that knob.

Thanks again for your insights.

-Tom H.

Tom Henderson2
03-04-2008, 1:13 AM
I believe older models of that saw had a round shaft for both tilt and elevation that had a flat on the outboard end that was to accept the setscrew. Sounds like someone maybe tightened the setscrew down on the round part of the shaft, raising a burr.

Bob --

You were exactly correct.

By pulling quite hard while turning the wheel, I was able to get it off today. And indeed there were two burrs on the shaft, all the way around. They appear to be from the setscrew, as if somebody tried to turn the tilt wheel while the trunnion was locked.

That somebody may have been me, as a kid. The saw was my dad's until I brought it home in January.

But with some elbow grease and patience I did get it off, filed down the burrs and now I can easily get the wheel on and off the shaft.

Thanks to all that took the time to comment. Hopefully somebody else will see this thread someday and it will be helpfull to them as well.

-Tom H.
Ventura, CA