PDA

View Full Version : New Jet Table Saw shreaks at startup?!?!

Brian Fulkerson
01-20-2008, 8:23 PM
I just purchased a new 5hp Jet deluxe Xacta saw and assembled it yesterday. I tuned the saw perfectly and notice that the saw makes a very annoying and loud "shreak" when it is starts up. Oddly, the saw only seems to do this when the saw is lowered past the half way point. When I raise the blade up to its max, I don't hear it. Also, The saw does not pass the "nickel" test at start up. I am concerned with this as this seems to be an easy task for most cabinet saws. At least it was for my Delta Hybrid.

Has anyone heard of this shreak sound?? I know that the delta's are know for popping at startup but this seem different.

I will be calling Jet tomorrow but i was hoping that somebody either knows of a simple solution or if I should be concerned.

Thanks,

Brian

Bruce Page
01-20-2008, 8:25 PM
I'd be willing to bet that your belts are a tad loose.

Dave Falkenstein
01-20-2008, 8:28 PM
I'd be willing to bet that your belts are a tad loose.

I'd second that bet, especially with the vibration also reported. Not only might the belts be loose, but they might have a "set" or flat spot in one or more belts. I imagine Jet will send you a new set of matched belts to install.

Brian Fulkerson
01-20-2008, 8:30 PM
How do I tighten loose a belt when it is tensioned by the motor??

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-20-2008, 9:24 PM
How do I tighten loose a belt when it is tensioned by the motor??

This is cabinet saw and the motor is hanging to tension the belts? Is that correct?

I put a motor on a machine using only weight for tension and it wasn't enough so I added a spring. Viola~!!

Brian Fulkerson
01-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Cliff,

Can you elaborate how you added a spring?? Sounds like a good solution.

Bob Feeser
01-20-2008, 10:55 PM
The motor should have attaching bolts/nuts that you can secure after pushing on it to tighten the belts. With pressure still exerted on the motor to tighten the belt, secure the bolts/nuts holding in the motor. If you do it properly, it should retain enough tension after you let go of the motor. I had a motor on an old saw that the adjusting bolt was broken, so I had to put a wedge in the motor bracket in order to keep the tension strong; otherwise the saw wasn't worth a darn. The belt would slip when you needed more tension for a stronger cut.