PDA

View Full Version : Another question on handsaws

David Tiell
01-20-2008, 8:08 PM
I have always cut my dovetails with a Japanese Dozuki saw, but after reading comments on here I would like to give it a try with a western style saw to see if I might like it better. I currently have the 3 saws pictured below, but have never used them. All 3 would need to be sharpened/re-set. I have no desire to royally screw these up myself, so I plan on sending them to Steve Cooke, but right now I'm guessing he's still a little under the weather. Since time is not a factor for me on this, my question is this. Will any of these saws suit my purpose once refurbished, or should I consider buying either the Wenzloff or LN dovetails saws to try?

Details on the three are:

Top:
9" cutting length, 16tpi
Brass back with stamping currently unreadable except for "LONDON"
No discernable etching on the blade

Middle:
10" cutting length, 15tpi
Brass Back stamped "TYZACK, SONS & TURNER LTD No. 120"
Possible blade etch but not sure.
Missing screw on back side where you see the broken "washer"?

Bottom:
12" cutting length 13tpi
Steel back with what appears to be "Henry Disston and Sons Philadelphia Cast Steel Warranted"
Blade etch not quite readable

So again, would these suit meonce refurbished, or should I go for one of the new saws?

TIA,

Dave

Jim Koepke
01-20-2008, 9:30 PM
I have always cut my dovetails with a Japanese Dozuki saw, but after reading comments on here I would like to give it a try with a western style saw to see if I might like it better. I currently have the 3 saws pictured below, but have never used them. All 3 would need to be sharpened/re-set. I have no desire to royally screw these up myself

Why be so sure you would screw them up? There is a lot of information on how to sharpen saws available. It is not rocket science. Besides, once you try, you will learn a lot about saws, likely get better at cutting and know where to look when something is not right.

Look Here: http://www.vintagesaws.com/cgi-bin/frameset.cgi?left=main&right=/library/library.html

Also, Bob Smalser has some great information on saw care here.

Search on saw filing, bent handsaw blade, saw vice and other things you can think of.

With the power of knowledge, you won't need a power saw!

OK, I am a little pumped because yesterday I sharpened a saw to rip some cedar planks. My first test cuts surprised me. This is only the third or fourth saw I have sharpened and it cut pretty straight. So today, I was ripping a plank and it seemed to have a slight wander to one side, gave it a swipe on one side with a stone and it is tracking great.

One of the earlier saws sharpened was a back saw. It was decided to sharpen it after having problems cutting a tenon with a Japanese pull saw. I do not expect the pull saw to see as much work in the future. It took a lot of work. It was my second saw to sharpen. It took me a while to get the tracking, but after it was going straight, It would cut straight down the middle of the tenons that were less than a 1/4 inch across.

So again, would these suit meonce refurbished, or should I go for one of the new saws?

I would start with sharpening the biggest first.
I am willing to bet if you take a little time to read the link above and some of Bob's posts, you will get hooked, sharpen the others, be very happy with the results and gain new confidence in your abilities.

One more thought, the saw I sharpened yesterday used to rattle when cutting. I did not put any more set on the teeth because of this. Too much set can cause as many problems as not having any set. I also put on at set of magnifiers so I could see the teeth forming as I filed them.

Jim

"Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems."
- Rene Descartes (1596-1650), "Discours de la Methode"

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Pam Niedermayer
01-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Any of those saws will work fine. I cut my first dovetails with a 12" Tyzack, they turned out perfectly.

Pam, who currently uses Japanese saws, a Kaneharu rip that Chris Schwarz rated highly in PopWW

Mark Stutz
01-20-2008, 10:41 PM
David,
All of those saws look to be good users. I would ask Steve to sharpen one of the bottom two crosscut and the other rip, and the small dovetail saw on the top, rip. of course. With some clean up , you will be well on your way.

David Tiell
01-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback everybody. I guess I should probably clarify a little more. I know if I really applied myself to learning to sharpen them, I could do it. However, sharpening ANYTHING is one of my least favorite things, next to sanding. I hate it enough I would rather pay someone else to do it than mess with it myself. Have been monkeying with a used set of Stanley 750 chisels I bought for quite some time now, and not one is ready to use.:eek:

Mark, thanks for the input on how to have them sharpened. Whenever I send them out, I'll probably go ahead and request that.

Thanks again,

Dave