PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else break a Jorgie lately?

Martin Shupe
03-01-2004, 5:35 PM
A few months ago, I used my Woodcraft Jorgie orgy clamps for the first time. On the first glue up, I broke one. I took it back to Woodcraft, and exchanged it without any hassle at all. (Thanks Woodcraft Ft. Worth!)

Today I used my Jorgie clamps for the second time, but only because I had run out of Bessey's. Now, I can crank those Bessey's down as tight as I want, and they always come through for me, but as I was tightening the first Jorgie, I heard the telltale "pop" that meant I get to make another trip to Woodcraft.

While I lift weights from time to time, I am no Arnold. ;)

So now in two uses, I have broken two clamps. :(

I don't care how cheap they are, if they break, they are not worth it.

If I break one more, I will dig out my receipt and they will all be returned for cash that will be spent on Bessey's.

Dennis McDonaugh
03-01-2004, 5:59 PM
I don't own any Jorgies, but I've seen posts on several web sites and as I understand it, they had a bad batch of clamps and send out new parts as needed.

Todd Burch
03-01-2004, 8:08 PM
You know, this could be a result of that big sale they had a while back. Perhaps they knew that the batch was defective and figured they'ld move it out fast, and they sure did.

Buyer beware!!

Chris Padilla
03-01-2004, 8:09 PM
Bessey's are pricy, but wonderful clamps. Mine have been through 4 years of abuse...and I guess they want more! :)

John Weber
03-01-2004, 8:23 PM
Todd,

I doubt they sold clamps they knew were defective. I think they sold basically 5+ years worth over a couple months. From my experience Adjustable is a great company and unfortunately a neat move to celerbrate 100 year and market a new clamp has not gone without a few problems. I have both Besseys and Jorgies, I tend to like the Besseys, but think the Jorgies will be up to the task.

John

Kent Cori
03-01-2004, 9:13 PM
Martin,

I'm sorry to hear about your Jorgy problems. I know Adjustable Clamp will stand behind their product.

I ordered about a dozen Jorgies during the recent orgies but ended up with Besseys as substitutes. Since I already had another dozen Besseys (purchased during she Sears closeout) I was most happy to accept them as as substitute. While I'm sorry for your troubles, I'm feeling even better about the Besseys.

John Miliunas
03-01-2004, 10:34 PM
Martin, I had one Jorgie fail on me and that was one of those where you closed it up tight on itself and couldn't get it loose, not fer love nor money! Otherwise, I've not had issue with them (knock on wood). I like to use them for gluing up panels, as they have their own supports while still being able to adjust and snug up the moveable jaw. But you're right...If you got a bunch of the "bad" ones, take them back or get replacements. I'd be willing to bet the replacements wouldn't have the same problems. Just MHO... :cool:

Greg Heppeard
03-02-2004, 9:04 AM
I've seen a lot of the Jorgies fail....but then, you get what you pay for. I haven't seen a Bessey fail yet...well maybe one in 3 years.

Mark Singer
03-02-2004, 9:16 AM
I have had some for 25 years and they are still working fine! I have many "pony" clamps and the pipe clamp fittings and I have tried but have not broken any. I got a little epoxy on the threads and it doesn't turn as fast...