PDA

View Full Version : Rust on planes

Matt Wolboldt
01-20-2008, 5:29 PM
So I've just acquired my first hand plane (LN low angle block plane) and I've coated it in Camellia Oil. But for what ever reason it has still managed to tarnish a along the body. Is there anything else I should know about the care and feeding of beginning of the plane collection? Thanks

Jim Koepke
01-20-2008, 9:51 PM
How is the humidity in your area?

Having no idea where you are, there could be other environmental elements in play.

Here in the San Francisco area the temp changes are fairly mild. As long as the tools a kept dry, they do not pick up a lot of moisture. I have known people who live a lot closer to the water than me have problems with salt in the air.

jtk

Jim Koepke
01-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Gee, after posting a reply, at the bottom of the page was this link to follow:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25286

jtk

Marcus Ward
01-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Camelia's not that great for rust prevention. Try johnson's paste wax. Camelia is supposed to be good for swords too but I have an iaido sword that camelia didn't protect. :( Now I use wax and CLP (gun oil).

Matt Wolboldt
01-23-2008, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to give something else a try I suppose.:)

Bill Brehme
01-23-2008, 1:31 AM
Lots of folks swear by Renaissance Wax...

I have had the best of luck using it on my jointer table top after failing w/ other products.

I live in FL where the moisture = murder...

Its initially pretty expensive, but it goes a long way;)

Lewis Moon
01-23-2008, 8:04 AM
OK, a bit of a gloat here....so sue me.
I live in Fort Stinkindesert, AZ (Phoenix) where the summer temps in my shop (garage) easily reach the 110s ++. I have to wear tennis wrist bands and a bandana in order to keep rivulets of sweat from pouring onto my planes, but as long as I keep/wipe the sweat off my Stanley #7 and keep the pool acid (HCl) on the back patio, I have zero problems with rust. Dry climates rock. I saw a Model T sitting out in the desert on my last field trip and it looked like a little judicial use of a ScotchBrite pad and you could drive it home.
And it'll be in the mid 60's here today.

Steven Herbin
01-23-2008, 8:32 AM
I had a similar problem with the LN LA Block Plane. In fact, the sides developed rust and the sole actually pitted from the rust. This all happened within a few days of getting the plane.

I removed the rust with a 4 "O" scotchbrite pad. However, the pitting on the sole was still evident. So, I called LN, they told me to ship it back to them and they would do what was necessary.

I got it back and I'm not sure, but it looked like they gave me another one. As soon as I got it, I put a coat of Butcher's Wax on it and I keep it wrapped in a cloth sprayed with the Camella Oil.

Can't be too safe.

I might add, the plane is GREAT! Cuts and handles better than any other I have ever held/used.

Geoff Irvine
01-24-2008, 1:09 PM
G'day Matt,
Have a look at the Lee valley "Corrision-inhibiting Storage Bags" or Lie-Nielson for "Ferro-Pak" either by itself or in the tool care kit. With that LN tool care kit you also get an abrasive hand block to remove surface rust - just make sure you use it away from the bench and clean the plane thoroughly. I have the original ferro-pak I got with my LN planes and this is placed where I store them and I haven't had a problem with oxidation. I plan on making 'sealed storage for them lined with this but I might get some of those bags as they look really handy for the smaller items. Hope this helps.

lowell holmes
01-24-2008, 1:39 PM
I use Johnson Wax on my tools, handplanes, chisels, bandsaw blades and so on!

Steven Wilson
01-24-2008, 3:00 PM
I wipe my planes down with the Cammellia oil and store them in plane socks - this has worked very well for rust. The "Ferro-Pak" paper works very well tool

Gary Herrmann
01-24-2008, 3:22 PM
G'day Matt,
Have a look at the Lee valley "Corrision-inhibiting Storage Bags" or Lie-Nielson for "Ferro-Pak" either by itself or in the tool care kit. With that LN tool care kit you also get an abrasive hand block to remove surface rust - just make sure you use it away from the bench and clean the plane thoroughly. I have the original ferro-pak I got with my LN planes and this is placed where I store them and I haven't had a problem with oxidation. I plan on making 'sealed storage for them lined with this but I might get some of those bags as they look really handy for the smaller items. Hope this helps.

I've got my planes in the LV plane socks.

My basement shop used to have water problems so I did this as a preventative measure. I think I've since solved the water problems, but call me paranoid...

Mike Brady
01-25-2008, 7:37 PM
I had a very bad experience with plane sacks trapping condensation and literally getting stuck to the planes with rust. Camelia oil is OK, but wax or Boeshield are more to the point. Actually, I have now installed a Golden Rod anti-humidity rod, www.goldenroddehumidifiers.com/in my tool cabinet and It has been the answer for me. It produces a low amount of heat that drys the air. They are widely used in firearms and marine applications.