PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Rotozip tool

Louis Brandt
01-20-2008, 4:53 PM
Hello,
I have just purchased a Rotozip RZ1 cutting tool, and I have a question for anyone who might have this same tool. I know that a Rotozip isn’t one of the most discussed tools on this forum, but I’ll take a chance that someone else owns one and can help me with this question.
I’m trying to use the Rotozip to cut a round (or even square) hole in 1/4 inch MDF. For reasons which aren’t important to this question, I need to keep the depth of cut as shallow as possible. I’d like to be able to have the cutting bit protrude no more than 1/4 inch below the bottom of the depth guide of the tool, thereby exposing only 1/4 inch of the bit. But I can’t get the bit to insert far enough into the shaft to reduce the exposed bit to 1/4 inch.
Does anyone know whether this tool can accommodate such a shallow depth of cut? Does Rotozip sell shorter bits, or is there any other idea that anyone who owns this tool knows of to do what I’m trying to do? I don't want to make this cut with a router, nor do I want to do it by hand.
Thanks,
Louis

Albert Wagner
01-20-2008, 5:04 PM
I've never seen shorter blades. If it was me I would just put a blade in a vise with the extraneous part sticking out and whack it with a hammer. It's very brittle. It should break clean.

James Stokes
01-20-2008, 5:36 PM
On my rotozip the head adjusts to get whatever depth you want.

Bill Lantry
01-20-2008, 6:17 PM
What James said. Adjust the blade guard out. Works great on already hung 1/2" drywall... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Louis Brandt
01-20-2008, 7:07 PM
Hello again,
I have already adjusted the depth ring as far as it will go, but it has a limit, and it won't allow me to adjust it far enough to give me only 1/4 inch of exposed bit. This is the Rotozip RZ1 tool. If there is a different Rotozip model which allows unlimited depth adjustment, and someone has one of these, please let me know.
Thanks,
Louis

Mike Marcade
01-20-2008, 7:21 PM
I have done depth limited cutting with my RZ20 down to 1/2" but I can't remember if it goes any lower than that.

Eric Haycraft
01-20-2008, 7:22 PM
I'll second Albert's suggestion as a free option. I just checked my rotozip and with the router attachment, I can expose 1/4 of an inch, but not less. If you don't have the router attachment, you can pick one up online. I have an RZ20 if it matters.

http://www.tylertool.com/roplroatpr2.html

Louis Brandt
01-20-2008, 7:56 PM
Hello again,
Thanks for the info about the router attachment for the Rotozip.
Let me change the question slightly though. If I break off (or hacksaw off) about a half-inch of the shaft of the bit, I can get down to my 1/4 inch objective, but the instructions on the Rotozip say that the spiral cutting portion should not be allowed to be inside the collet. I've used drill bits in such a way as to have the cutting portion of the bit "inside" the drill collet. Do you think that I would hurt the tool if I did this? I wouldn't care if it hurt the bit.
Thanks again,
Louis

Rick Hutcheson
01-20-2008, 8:15 PM
How about cutting a piece of 1/2" plywood the shape of the base. Drill a hole in the center for the bit. Then use double sided carpet tape to hold it onto the base. That would be the same depth change as breaking a bit off .

Dale Lesak
01-20-2008, 8:36 PM
Hi Louis, there is a couple of way to get what you need done. You didn't say if you are using the 1/4" or 1/8" bit, but that done not really make any difference. You can use a router bit in place of the Roto bit. they are shorter and don't know if it would be short enough or not. Roto dose make /sell router bits to fit their tool. nothing more then regular router bits over priced. If you still need to cut shallower you can add a 1/4 or 1/2 base to move the bit higher. Depending on what you have for the depth guide. I can't help you out there. I have seen square, round and even a router attachment that will fit the Roto. One word of caution is the router bit "Will" be more aggressive then the up / down spiral cutting tool make sure you have good control of the tool while cutting. HTH Dale :)