PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on shop upgrade

Mike Zozakiewicz
01-20-2008, 4:41 PM
I have one of those problems that you love to have. I have $1000 available to upgrade my shop. The problem is where to spend the money.

Here is my current tool list:
- 10" Craftsman TS w/ two cast iron extension wings
- Fisch bench top drill press
- Makita 2012 planer
- vintage Sears 6" jointer
- Craftsman 12" bandsaw
- Makita air compressor
- 10" chop saw
- two routers 1 1/2 HP fixed craftsman & Hitachi M12V
- Small Jet 2 bag dust collector

So I am trying to figure out where best to invest. Should I upgrade my table saw, or just replace it? Get a real bandsaw (someone gave me the 12" craftsman)?
If I keep my saw, I was considering getting a vega fence as the current one is never square. Also thinking of getting a HVLP spray kit. What do you think?

Mike

mike holden
01-20-2008, 4:50 PM
If twere me, I would get a new bandsaw.
But, I dont know what kind of woodworking you do?
Mike

scott spencer
01-20-2008, 4:50 PM
Does your shop have 220v?

Steve Roxberg
01-20-2008, 4:57 PM
Mike, we need to know what you work on.

I would upgrade the tablesaw, or the jointer to an 8" one.

Describe your project and that will help.

I have always upgraded tools based on a current project or need.

Lance Norris
01-20-2008, 5:23 PM
Lathe. Stationary belt sander. Router table. Jet parallel clamps. Wood. (not in any particular order):)

Bruce Benjamin
01-20-2008, 5:38 PM
You should consider adding some EZ Smart Tools. They are highly functional, top quality and made in America. Above all, there's no safer way to make precise, accurate cuts or to use your router. Either that or maybe you could get a nice big screen LCD TV for your shop.;) But I think the EZ would be more productive.

Bruce

Richard Dragin
01-20-2008, 6:20 PM
It depends on what you plan on doing the most and how happy you are with your current selection. Aside from that I am a big fan of buying used and it has made me a Craig's List junky. If you aare patient you could upgrade several items in your shop and sell off the old stuff as you go.

Or just blow it all on a Grizzley 0513X bandsaw which is my only "new" purchase.

Alison Gray
01-20-2008, 6:22 PM
I think a top notch fence is worth the money, either an incra or jointech. The incra router fence with joiner jig is awesome. Makes easy dove tails and other joints.

Jim Becker
01-20-2008, 6:37 PM
You should use the money for things you actually need to do the projects you have lined up that you either don't have now or have an inadequacy with your current setup.

If your table saw is serviceable and you like it outside of the fence, a good fence upgrade is worth the money. A table saw with an inaccurate/inconsistent fence is pretty much unusable.

And also consider decent hand tools to expand your skills... ;)

Al Killian
01-20-2008, 7:00 PM
Well, if I had 1k to spend and did not have a cyclone, i would get a cyclone. You seem to have a good collection of tools. Or if you are happy with the small dc get a bs or maybe. It would relly help to know what kind of work you do, size of your shop, power to your shop. Maybe if all else fails you can send the money my way.:p I will put it towards a pellet stove to keep warm.

Randy Dutkiewicz
01-20-2008, 9:42 PM
Like Steve said, we would need to know what you like to work on and how often. I have always been a firm believer that the top 3 shop items should never be skimped on:
1. Table saw (Cabinet of no less than 3HP)
2. 8" jointer (Delta, Grizzly or PM)
3. Quality planer

Once these items have been purchased, you really wouldn't need to upgrade (except for maybe the planer in future years). So, if it were me and based on the items you've listed you already have, I would personally sell the contractor saw and invest in a cabinet saw. Just my .02 cents. :cool:

PS: I like the last name "kiewicz". I too am originally from WI (Racine County)

Michael Gibbons
01-21-2008, 2:04 AM
Possible new router table with lift and router motor.

New bandsaw.

Buy a Beis fence for your TS.

I didn't see a lathe on your list. Are you going to turn anything?

Maybe some hand tools-chisels, planes,saws etc..

I could easily spend a grand on accessories for the shop- new TS blade, router bits, hardware, turning tools, finishing supplies; stuff like that.

If you have hand tools ,do you have a sharpening system like a Tormek or waterstones?

Mike Zozakiewicz
01-24-2008, 12:20 AM
Thanks for all the advice!

To answer some of the questions:

Some of the projects I am working on or are planned: Small cabinet for kitchen counter w/ drawers, a bench with back for entry way, sofa table, then maybe kitchen table.

I do have a router table that I made and a router Raizer on the M12V, I am currently building a fence for it.

Scott - I don't have 220V, but I could put it in easily

Randy - How may times have people put ..ski on the end of your name when trying to pronounce it? :)

Al - my shop is 18 x 9, so somewhat narrow.

I am leaning towards a fence upgrade for the table saw and replacing the bandsaw.

Thanks again for all the help!

Mike

Dave Lindgren
01-24-2008, 2:26 AM
People on this forum seem to think only Biesmeyer makes after market fences. I agree with your choice of a Vega. The one I have been using for the last 20 years gives me .010 to .015 repeatability between cuts as measured with a good pair of Mitsutoyo dial calipers. And the locking knob thread is the same as the interior thread on a beer faucet handle as a bonus. Mine currently has an ancient Burgermeister handle, which is weighted just right to lock the fence in place with a one handed slap. Adds a little class to the whole thing. If you aren't lugging down your saw on the cuts you normally make, and can hold the accuracy you require, spend the money on wood.

Don Bullock
01-24-2008, 9:43 AM
If you choose not to replace the table saw, getting a new fence would be your best place to start. Having a poor table saw fence can be one of the worst things when working with wood. I used one for many years and can't believe what a difference an accurate fence can make.

Mike Zozakiewicz
01-25-2008, 1:45 PM
Slight change of direction, I found someone who is selling his Delta 2hp cabinet saw (not unisaw) for $500. I am looking at that tomorrow. If it is in good shape I might go that route.

Mike

Chuck Lenz
01-25-2008, 2:15 PM
Slight change of direction, I found someone who is selling his Delta 2hp cabinet saw (not unisaw) for $500. I am looking at that tomorrow. If it is in good shape I might go that route.

Mike
Sounds like a Hybrid.

Wayne Cannon
01-27-2008, 3:23 AM
Amen on the fence, though I found the Incra to be a waste of my money. When I say fence, I mean a good Beismeyer, Vega, Unisaw, or other sturdy fence (includes the Jointech, but for its sturdiness, not for the indexing capability). It's almost cheaper to get a new cabinet saw than to add a first class fence to an existing saw, though.

You will never regret the smoothness of a good cabinet saw; but rather than ask others, I would focus on what you like to do and what you currently encounter that gets in your way -- it might be a nice smoothing plane, dovetail jig, or disk/belt sander, for example. Otherwise, you will buy tools you don't need immediately and then discover that there are preferable choices when you do start to really need them.

Mike Zozakiewicz
01-27-2008, 6:19 PM
Decided not to get the saw, table was not flat front to back. With a shop as small as mine, I need to use my table as a flat reference, I often assemble on it. So I let it pass.

keith ouellette
01-27-2008, 6:34 PM
You should use the money for things you actually need to do the projects you have lined up that you either don't have now or have an inadequacy with your current setup.

If your table saw is serviceable and you like it outside of the fence, a good fence upgrade is worth the money. A table saw with an inaccurate/inconsistent fence is pretty much unusable.

And also consider decent hand tools to expand your skills... ;)

This is the way I would go. Put the money aside and spend it as needed. If your lucky the need for a large tool will come up first or you might find you need a kreg pocket hole jig or a cabinet router set. You never know. Its fun to buy but better to wait and plan. Just don't spend the money on something foolish like food or clothes. Stick to the important stuff like tools.

Rick Moyer
01-27-2008, 9:55 PM
I'd upgrade the fence on the TS. I have probably the same saw and put a better fence on it and made a world of difference. Still would like a cabinet saw but money is better spent elsewhere right now. Only you can decide where your money will work best for you, so you have to decide which tools you have are at least adequate, which are not adequate, and what do you need/want that will make woodworking more enjoyable. Over the past few years I added a jointer and planer instead of upgrading to a cabinet saw because I felt I could make do with the Craftsman (with a better fence). I don't regret those decisions. As much as I'd like a better TS, I need to get better dust collection, stationary sanding equipment, oh and a big lathe would be nice;). Do your best to figure out which will make you happier: upgrading what you now have or adding something you don't have. Unfortunately for most of us, it never ends!