PDA

View Full Version : Dna!

Ben Gastfriend
01-20-2008, 3:36 PM
I've never been allowed to keep DNA in my shop in the basment, because of the risk of fire, but I've just been given permission (by my dad) to keep a 5 gal bucket of it in his detatched office garage for drying wet roughed out bowls. I'm planning on using the Dennis Peacock method!:)

So here are my questions:

1) Is there a time limit to how long something could stay in the DNA? Because if I can't make it to my dad's office to fish it out in 24 hrs, would it be okay sitting there for 2 or 3 days?

2) What kind of DNA do you use, where do you get it, and where can I find it the cheapest?

Thank you for your input!
Happy MLK Day!

Barry Elder
01-20-2008, 4:02 PM
Hi Ben,

I usually order a 5 gal. container from a local hardware store. They have to order it for me but it saves me a lot of money. I don't know what chain stores you have in your area so I would Google the 5 gal. Denatured Alcohol and see what store chains carry it or can order it for you. The brand I get is Sunnyside, IIRC, and I don't think it matters how long the wood soaks.

Steve Schlumpf
01-20-2008, 4:05 PM
Ben - the only time problem that I know of with DNA is if you don't leave the item soak long enough. Basically - once the blank is saturated nothing else is going to happen to it.

The brand I use is Sunnyside and it is carried at the local Menards store - which is the only home improvement place we have in the immed area.

Hope that helps!

Bernie Weishapl
01-20-2008, 4:05 PM
Ben a answer to question #1 is I have left them for a week (forgot them:eek:) with no adverse effects. I get my DNA from the local lumber yard here by the gallon which I think is around $12. It will last quite a long time if you have a tight lid on it and I just add a gallon of fresh every now and then. After DNA I wrap them in brown grocery bags like Christmas presents and cut a opening it the bowl part. I turn them upside down on a cooling grate you can get from Wal-Mart for about $2 and leave them dry for 3 weeks or so.

Brad Hammond
01-20-2008, 9:11 PM
man i'm glad you posted these questions. gonna get a couple of gallon this week myself.

Brian McInturff
01-20-2008, 10:28 PM
I've left bowls in for over a month. Had to go out of town and forgot about them. Didn't cause any problems for me.

Scott Hubl
01-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Steve,
Menards carries 5 Gallon containers?
In the paint dept?
And if so , how much is a 5 gallon can?

Thanks

Jon Lanier
01-21-2008, 1:00 AM
Answer seems to have been answered. But I found out this past week that what makes the 'D" in DNA is some chemical they use to make it so the alcohol cannot be consumed. I didn't realize it, I thought it fell into the same category of Rubbing Alcohol... unless that to is De-natured?

Dennis Peacock
01-21-2008, 1:01 AM
Ben,

I think I hold the all time record for how long a bowl has soaked in the DNA bath.......3-1/2 months and it wound up being a very nice bowl. So there, you can't over soak one. :D

Ben Gastfriend
01-21-2008, 7:01 AM
Thank you for your replies, all ya'll. (Ha!) That was the answer I was hoping for. I'll pick up a couple gallons next weekend.