PDA

View Full Version : My solution to hose slip-off for DC

Ted Baca
01-20-2008, 2:18 PM
I had a thread earlier this month concerning the short stup that metal blastgates have and my problem of the hose coming off. I had some good response from fellow SMC'rs and I thank them for that. But I was at Woodcraft the other day and a lightbulb clicked on (rare occasion as it is)
and I bought the slip-on quick connect DC adapters PN:140259 and applied the with clear silicone and 2)#8 machine screws. See the photos for the answer to my problems. Excuse the photo I am still learning how to make an attachment fit.

Jon Bonham
01-20-2008, 2:30 PM
Excuse the photo I am still learning how to make an attachment fit.
You might see if you can figure out the focus on your camera too. :D Are those blast gates available from Woodcraft?

Anthony Whitesell
01-20-2008, 3:08 PM
Did you that they now make two different spiral threaded quick couplings? The black hose and clear-wire reinforced hoses are spiraled in opposite directions. I saw clear hose threaded couplings advertised on Rockler's website.

Ted Baca
01-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Jon I didn't realize how out of focus it was till I posted it. I bought the blastgates from Lee Valley. But the ones at Woodcraft appear to be about the same. Lee Valley claims that theirs are self cleaning. As far at the adapters I wish I could find them without the spiral threading.

Steve Clardy
01-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Nice solution Ted:D

Lee Schierer
01-21-2008, 2:31 PM
Take a 4" long piece of 4" pvc pipe and put it into the blast gate. Then cut another piece of 4" pvc about 4-5" long. Slice one side lengthwise anre remove aenough material that you can close up the gap and insert the piece onside the first piece of pvc. Slip it in about half way so the new piece is half exposed. Once you get the fit right, glue the seam with pvc cementand glue the slit piece inside the uncut piece. Your flex hose should slip right over the reduced diameter piece.

Anthony Whitesell
01-21-2008, 2:45 PM
They actually make them. I have one I don't use (I like the spiral). Amazon carries them made by Jet P/N JW1038 or Woodstock. Also Peachtree Item #420 (http://www.ptreeusa.com/dustfittings_connector.htm#420).

Stan Smith
01-21-2008, 7:48 PM
I like that threaded quick connect coupling. I'm using Fazelock connectors. I don't use blast gates and just connect to one machine at a time. Woodcraft has a 4" ball fitting that rotates and makes things easy to put on and off.