PDA

View Full Version : Router Sled Done

Byron Trantham
03-01-2004, 4:15 PM
The poly set up faster than I figured and there was very little left to do so I finished the assembly. Initial trial pointed out that the rather effective clamping pressure of the clamp raises the other side of the piece being routed :eek: ; not much just a hair. I am going to go ahead an order another clamp and install it on the other side of the handle. ;)

Glenn Clabo
03-01-2004, 4:22 PM
Man you ain't gonna loose that sled...or table. It's way to purty to scratch up too.

Nice job!

Tyler Howell
03-01-2004, 4:25 PM
WARNING! Router table ahead.:D

Very Nice;)

Stan Smith
03-01-2004, 7:33 PM
Congratulations, Byron! Here's my contribution (no where near as nice as yours). I decided to give making mini cabinet doors a try using rail and stile bits. I modified a jewelry chest plan that uses stock 1 1/4" wide and 1/2" thick (Can you see me sliding down the slippery slope, yet?) Those adjustments are tiny and critical. The rails are only 4 5/8" long. So I had to make a sled (see pics below). I had a miter insert alum slot sitting around for years and finally got up the nerve to cut a dado for it. I also had an old miter gauge lying around that I picked up at a garage sale for 50 cents. I also had some t-bolts and knobs. The hold-down is from my drill press table. Fortunately I also had the t-slot router bit. I'll be able to use the jig to do the cove cuts on the drawer fronts which are also pretty small. The Grrrripper came in very handy for the stiles. I did add a little wood catch on the end of the gripper. The rails are so short that I couldn't even see them under the Grripper. Some things were puckered.... Stan

Byron Trantham
03-01-2004, 7:53 PM
Stan,
Frankly I like your design; vary variable. For "normal rails" mine will work well enough but I can see some limitation in the future.

I did the same thing as you; I got everything from the shop.

In the early 60s, when I was a kid, we had a saying about cars, "If it don't go, chrome it!" :D I'm big into chrome. We'll see if it goes as time marches on.....

Chris Padilla
03-01-2004, 8:38 PM
Byron,

I spy a PRL and perhaps the Twin Linear! I have both of them babies!

Your stuff is too purty...use them once in a while, okay!! :D

Byron Trantham
03-01-2004, 8:49 PM
Byron,

I spy a PRL and perhaps the Twin Linear! I have both of them babies!

Your stuff is too purty...use them once in a while, okay!! :D

Chris, you're right on both counts. I love them. The table is about three years old and has seen a boat load of wood. Formica is some tough stuff. There's a PC 7518 underneath.

Chris Padilla
03-01-2004, 8:54 PM
Ditto on the motor for mine as well. I even went so far to pick up the table top and blue leg set and 4-drawer cabinet from Woodpeckers. I got about a zillion dollars into my router table but it works very nicely. :D

Stan Smith
03-02-2004, 10:29 AM
Byron:

Truth be told, I would like to have a nice setup like yours. I started off with a nice table top but just had metal legs. Then I built Hylton's router cabinet. The jig I made was out of necessity for those dinky parts. The other problem was that I just couldn't get the bit height to put stuff on a sled. This was after I did like John Lucas and cut 1/2" off the posts of my Hitachi M12V. I guess that I may have to go back and try to cut off some more, but that will be another day. Please try not to scratch your beautiful table :rolleyes:
Stan

Ted Shrader
03-02-2004, 11:07 AM
. . . In the early 60s, when I was a kid, we had a saying about cars, "If it don't go, chrome it!" :D We called that "All show and no go!" I'm sure yours will see plenty of "go".

Suggestion - Put in a backer board behind the cut piece to reduce tear out. I use them on my sled. They attach with machine screws (into brass inserts in the base) so you don't have to worry about clamping the backer also.

Nice job. Thanks for the pictures.

Ted

Jason Tuinstra
03-02-2004, 11:27 AM
Byron, excellent job. You've brought the term router table/sled to a whole new level. Way to go.

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-02-2004, 12:02 PM
Fellows
Some really nice ideas here today.
I'd like to add - Eagle American and Price Cutters have a neat hold down clamp attachment that can be used with your "thumb clamps"
You might take a look at them.
Ted has a very valid solution to the backer board situation.
Daniel :cool:

Byron Trantham
03-02-2004, 4:55 PM
We called that "All show and no go!" I'm sure yours will see plenty of "go".

Suggestion - Put in a backer board behind the cut piece to reduce tear out. I use them on my sled. They attach with machine screws (into brass inserts in the base) so you don't have to worry about clamping the backer also.

Nice job. Thanks for the pictures.

Ted
Ted, got the backer board covered. Though it isn't in the picture, I intend use a 1/2" wide piece of scrap when I use it.

I tried it out today and it worked well.

Stan Smith
03-02-2004, 5:08 PM
Hi Ted:

Your backer board idea is great! I plan to do that to my little jig. Looks like holes will be needed in each backer board?

Stan