PDA

View Full Version : Very Dry Chestnut root blank?

Kaptan J.W. Meek
01-20-2008, 11:23 AM
I came into possesion of a very old root / burl block.. I understand that Chestnut wood is practically unobtainable, and I sure don't want to screw it up, so, If anyone has experience with this stuff, and can tell me if there is anything I should look out for, I'd sure appreciate it.. I think I want to do a hollow form, because the chunk is not very tall. I think I can get about a 9" round X 4" tall blank out of it. Pix soon, I promise.

Jim Marshall
01-20-2008, 4:57 PM
I had the chance several years ago to work with some antique chestnut, it wasn't burl though. It was a very easy wood to machine and was light in weight. It looked like a cross between ash and oak but was a brown color. I really enjoyed working with it but don't know how the burl chestnut will turn.

Kaptan J.W. Meek
01-20-2008, 9:41 PM
Your right about it being lightweight.. A guy that just didn't know would throw it over his head, because of the size of it, compaired to the weight.. It's not like Balsa, but it is light.. I'll get a picture up in a few days, I gotta work 72 hours straight this week, but then I'm off 5 days so I'll get it round.