PDA

View Full Version : Project Post - Bowfront Mantle

Craig Thompson
01-20-2008, 11:22 AM
I finished one of this weekends project goals. It is my first 'laminated form' project.

A friend of my fathers took down a Cherry tree a couple of years ago, he kindly sold it to me for reasonble price. One tree with a yield over 1000 bd foot. It is being put to use for our new family living area which includes dining/kitchen/family areas.

I was able to resaw some 10/4 stock to get the rails and stiles QS. The panels came from one length of board to keep the grain going the same way... It was a little to tall to bend into place so I had to steam it. I think the contrast worked out ok with the panels being flatsawn. Let me know what ya think. It was a simple design and I wanted to keep it fairly clean looking so I opted to miter the corners... I wish now that it is in place that I dovetailed the front corners.... maybe next time

PS. I sprayed the first color coat on all of the kitchen yesturday... a couple more days and we should be building up the final assemblies..

Thanks for looking,

gary Zimmel
01-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Craig

Beautiful looking mantle. You did a great job!

C Scott McDonald
01-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Wow thats awesome!

Jim Becker
01-20-2008, 3:18 PM
Beautiful work, Craig.

Ken Shoemaker
01-20-2008, 5:21 PM
Holy Cow!!! Now that is somwe nice work... Do you have any drawings or plans for that???? I have been wanting to do a mantle and I couldn't think of one example I like more than yours...

Very nice work.... Ken

Glenn Clabo
01-20-2008, 5:37 PM
All I can say is WOW! That's some good work Craig.