PDA

View Full Version : Blueing and phosphoric acid or?

Marc Gélinas
01-20-2008, 9:52 AM
Hello all, like some of you, I live in an area where the climate varies a lot (Canada). The shop is in a barn and not heated very often. So I've set up a temporary spot in my basement to prep my hand tools for the spring and was wondering if any of you have tried and had success with Bob Smalser's technique for blueing tools?

Ray Sheley
01-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Mr. Smalser's advice is generally pretty sound and I have many rtabs/eferences to his work to refer to when I have questions, but I am not 100% sure of what it is in this instance. That said, I have "blued" several tool items myself to clean up their appearance and provide some additional protection. A wax or light oil coating over the blue is generally applied as well.

Bob Smalser
01-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Rustproofing Tools
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=28340

Marc Gélinas
01-20-2008, 2:13 PM
Hello, me again. Thanks for the responses. Mr. Smalser (if you read this) I've pretty much read all the information I could find about caring for and rehabing tools (what you've written as well as other sources) and am not sure about the quality of the blueing products I can find in my area. I do know that some blueing compounds are more susceptible to rust than others and I wouldn't want to make a mess of my tools. I am currently considering leaving the phosphoric acid residue (iron oxide) on the tools with a light buff and paste wax, and blueing just a couple of chisels and seeing how they do in the long run. However, if I could find a good reference for a blueing compound available in my area I'd gladly go ahead and blue everything. Just so you know what potential volume of rust problems I'm up against here's a pick of some of what I've got to care for and rehab (Yes there's a little more).

Tom Sontag
01-20-2008, 2:59 PM
Hi Marc,

I found all my bluing stuff in one kit at the hunting supply store. Gun folks apparently do this all the time.

I had an eBay phase of buying up some old chisels and rehabbing them. A few had been blued way back and were completely rust free as a result. I am a believer. Hey, maybe I should blue other tools. Planes? Cast iron tops? Why not?

Marc Gélinas
01-20-2008, 3:16 PM
Hi again, I have looked up information on gun blue products on a few internet sites, mostly people who restore old firearms, and some do mention that some blueing products seem less resistant to rust than others. In the end I just want a final (if you will) opinion whether the time, energy and money spent is worth it.

Bob Smalser
01-20-2008, 8:19 PM
I was specific about which cold blue I've found works the best. Brownell's OxphoBlue. Call Brownells and see who distributes it in Canada. Some cold blues are worse than using nothing at all.

Marc Gélinas
01-20-2008, 8:40 PM
Actually, I did call them, unfortunately the person I spoke to didn't know if Oxpho Blue is available in Canada and wasn't sure who to refer me to to answer me, but I will try again, only a little harder. By the way, from what little information I've managed to come by on the net, Brownells seems to be amongst the most durable cold blue finishes "while not resulting in quite the right colour", but I'm not that picky!
Thank

Griph0n Brown
03-24-2009, 2:56 PM
Did anybody find brownells in Canada? I'm in the yukon so maybe Southeast Alaska?

Thanks

David Keller NC
03-24-2009, 3:08 PM
Marc - This is really old-school, but you don't say whether you're interested in rust-proofing on an on-going user basis, or rust-proofing for storage. The reason that I ask is that while bluing will indeed provides some protection for steel tools and firearms, it does little to prevent corrosion on the cutting edges and bevels, since any surface treatment will be honed off the first time the tool's sharpened for business.

If you're looking to rust-proof for storage, I'm going to suggest the oldest trick in the book - heavy grease. In this case, cosmoline. You can get it for next to nothing at most any auto parts store, and "treatment" is 10 second wipe down with a rag.

Chris Setla
03-24-2009, 8:53 PM
A quick check found oxphoblue available at a sporting goods store in Edmonton, Calgary, Kamloops and Winnipeg where I am, among others. PM me if you want the name of said stores as they do have a web presence with E-commerce storefront. They don't carry everything Brownells has but they have a few of the more pertinent items for the doityourselfer. When I worked as a gunsmith in Winnipeg (25+ years ago) we simply ordered our needs from Brownells through the mail as long as it wasn't too hazardous.

Frankly, any gunsmith/gunshop should be able to supply you with what you are looking for.

Christian

Marc Casebolt
03-24-2009, 11:08 PM
I've used the Oxphoblue afew times, and find that it works very well to color the metal. Time will tell about the rust proofing, but I do like the over all look. East too.

Marc

James K Peterson
03-25-2009, 8:01 AM
Not to high jack the thread, but...
Is there any reason I shouldn't use the brownell's Oxphblue on my scrapers, planes, chisels, saws? Come to think of it any reason I shouldn't use it on my cast iron stuff (tablesaw, jointer, drillpress, etc)?

If it will help in my rust proofing and not rub off on the wood it seems like a good idea.

James