PDA

View Full Version : ready to sell

Mike Evertsen
03-01-2004, 2:29 PM
both of these computers :mad:,,,,I hate computers,,,,I have two new computers both run XP one a dell note book the other a HP 410 desktop
I thought from what I read XP would be easy to setup a ethernet wire network from the shop to the house can't setup the network I gave up,,
I have one printer in the house one printer in the shop sometimes I need to printer from the note book in the house so I bought a USB peripheral switch the guy said easy to setup both PC's to use one printer I'm out 85.00 and now neither will use the printer,,,,this sucks:mad:

Jim Becker
03-01-2004, 6:56 PM
You don't need new computers...you need a new computer "expert".

Networking the two computers is simply a matter of having them appropriately cabled to a small Ethernet switch (switch does not refer to knobs...just what the device is called). If you have high-speed Internet access, many of the hardware firewalls include several ports you can use for this purpose. If you're on dialup, you can actually just use a special configuration of the cable called a "crossover" cable to network the two machines or opt for the small Ethernet switch anyway. Once you are physically connected, you need to tell XP that you are networked via the control panel and set up certain parameters. If you are not sure about how to do this, I'm sure that someone here can help you out either via email/PM/ postings or via the telephone.

For the printer, you don't need to use a sharing device if the computers are networked together...just attach it via USB cable to one machine and "share" it.

Chris Johnson
03-01-2004, 8:34 PM
Mike, I would be glad to walk you through all of this. It is easy...if you know what you are doing or have played with it before. If not, it can be very frustrating. Some basic configuring has to be done (all depending on what pieces you are working with) and a bit of software setup, and away you go. Remember that XP doesn't "share" anything by default. And "default" network settings don't do anything unless something is telling them what to do. Let me know, and we can get you up and running.

both of these computers :mad:,,,,I hate computers,,,,I have two new computers both run XP one a dell note book the other a HP 410 desktop
I thought from what I read XP would be easy to setup a ethernet wire network from the shop to the house can't setup the network I gave up,,
I have one printer in the house one printer in the shop sometimes I need to printer from the note book in the house so I bought a USB peripheral switch the guy said easy to setup both PC's to use one printer I'm out 85.00 and now neither will use the printer,,,,this sucks:mad:

Mike Evertsen
03-04-2004, 1:02 AM
thanks for the offer to help but after today I can't get this computer to even scan out a qoute to e-mail,,,,
I have a guy coming Sunday to set this up a show me what to do make it run the way I need it to,,,people put down ME but I could get that to work I could fix what went wrong to me XP is a bad dream,,,,,,

Chris Johnson
03-07-2004, 7:08 PM
Mike, I didn't see anyone else put you down, and I certainly did not. I was just offereing to talk you through it. If you were used to doing it in older versions of Windows, it would see quite a bit different in XP. Some of the difference is an improvement, and some seems to be more of a road block. If your guy doesn't come through for you, let us know, and I am sure some of us can get you flying. Good luck.

thanks for the offer to help but after today I can't get this computer to even scan out a qoute to e-mail,,,,
I have a guy coming Sunday to set this up a show me what to do make it run the way I need it to,,,people put down ME but I could get that to work I could fix what went wrong to me XP is a bad dream,,,,,,

Tom Sweeney
03-07-2004, 8:19 PM
I think Mike was referring to the fact that people put down MS ME OS - not him personally :)

Tom

Mike, I didn't see anyone else put you down, and I certainly did not. I was just offereing to talk you through it. If you were used to doing it in older versions of Windows, it would see quite a bit different in XP. Some of the difference is an improvement, and some seems to be more of a road block. If your guy doesn't come through for you, let us know, and I am sure some of us can get you flying. Good luck.

Wes Bischel
03-07-2004, 9:37 PM
Chris, I had to re-read that line a few times to figure it out as well! :D

Wes