PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Arbor Falling off

Ben Brownbrwn
01-20-2008, 1:48 AM
Hi
I have a Draper drill press which I bought at an auction. It worked fine for about 2 years. Lately I find that the arbor attached to the spindle keeps falling off. User manual says to clean up grease or oil from the spindle and arbor which I have done. But to no avail. It happens especially when I use Hole saws or 1 inch spade bit. Any solutions Thanks in advance.
Ben

Allan Froehlich
01-20-2008, 3:57 AM
I had a similar problem with a craftsman drill press I bought about 2 years ago. The chuck would just fall off in both light and heavy cuts and at all speeds.

My solution was to clean both mating surfaces with lacquer thinner and allow it to dry. Then i'd install the chuch as normal, but not push it in by hand. I'd tighten the collet all the way and then whack it with a hammer. I guessed that extra room before contact allowed the chuck to move up higher than if I pressed it and then proceeded to tap it.

Overall, the thing came out about 15 times before I managed a more permanent solution. But I still wonder if it will pop out again.

Ben Brownbrwn
02-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Can u please clarify as to what the permanent solution is?

Wayne Cannon
02-03-2008, 1:05 PM
The recommendations posted here ARE the permanent solution. It's just a perfect fit of the Morse tapers. Make sure BOTH tapers (male and female) are very clean with absolutely no oily residue. Check for any burrs or damage that might prevent them from seating fully. You can get a tapered plastic "reamer" from a woodworking store to help with cleaning the female taper.

Jules Dominguez
02-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Clean the parts as stated above, open the chuck all the way, put a scrap board on the drill press table, and use the downfeed handle to press the chuck down hard against the board to press the arbor in place.

Ben Brownbrwn
02-08-2008, 5:34 AM
Well, I finally resolved it. Just a single piece of thin paper wrapped around the arbor and installed it. No more falling arbor and chuck. Been using lot of hole saw and spade bit. I think it will hold for good. Atleast for a long time.