PDA

View Full Version : Thanks guys

Ron Kopp
01-20-2008, 12:41 AM
I found this site a couple of weeks ago. I have learned more in that time then I ever knew. I am a farmer from cold northern Montana. A few years ago I decided I wanted to build my own kitchen cabinets. I was fortunate enough to have a friend's dad that was 75 years old offer to let me use his shop and brain to build them. He lived 400 miles away but I hooked up to the stock trailer and headed out. 8 days later and a full trailer load of new cabinets I was back home. Long days. I learned so much in those few days. That gentleman did it just to pass on the trade. That was 5 years ago. He has passed away since and I never got back there to take advantage of more of his vast knowledge; I regret that. The point is, thank you guys for sharing. I have since built a 32+36 dedicated wood shop and built all the cabinets in the house. You know how it goes, pretty soon it gets out that you build cabinets and now it is a pretty full time winter job. I still really enjoy it. The last few projects that I have built have gone much easier with the tricks that I have learned from this site. One trick I used today was building a jig for my router for dados in big pieces of plywood instead of fighting with them on the TS. So just remember, alot of the things that you guys take for granted some of us novices have never even considered. I really appreciate the time you guys spend to share your talents.
PS- how long before I quit buying new tools with the profit and actually put some in the bank? Waiting on a new Jet cabinet saw now.

Ken Shoemaker
01-20-2008, 5:14 AM
I envy you for your "stealth shop gloat". I too get far more that I ever contribute to this forum.

BTW - POST PICS!!! We all want to see your work... Ken