PDA

View Full Version : load of cedar picked up earlier

Dewayne Garrett
01-19-2008, 11:21 PM
What would be the recommendations for having this cut? My wife was wanting a cedar chest and I came across this find so now guess I can do it.
http://usera.imagecave.com/Texanx5/WoodWorking/jan808003.JPG

I found a guy today that told me he could saw it some time next month using a portable sawmill. What should I ask for 4/4 or should I ask for something else? He told me over the phone it should not run a bundle to cut if I could haul it in the back of my pickup. I told him it wasn't full but a nice load.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking of an amish style finish outside leave inside unfinished for aroma on the chest. I've had a request for a few others but may could do them in oak or something and line for that I'd think possibly need it saw'n thinner?

Richard M. Wolfe
01-20-2008, 11:57 AM
When we mill cedar it's on our Woodmizer and we cut to 4/4 scale. That gives a rough board that's about !1/8" thick. (Don't ask me why it's set like it is but the 4/4 scale gives a 1 1/8" board and the inch scale yields about a 7/8"). If cut properly with no waviness in the cut, etc the 4/4 material can usually be planed to 7/8" as cedar doesn't shrink much when drying. Stick it in a protected area and it should be ready to use in a couple months....it's best to check with a moisture meter. If you are going to use it for lining a chest the material sold for that is usually half inch. From looking at the ends of your logs you may have some bad spots or bark inclusions. Good luck with the project(s).

Mike Marcade
01-20-2008, 12:06 PM
I wish we had a few less cedar trees here in central Texas. The pollen is killing my allergies down here. :mad:

Dewayne Garrett
01-20-2008, 2:48 PM
Thanks ! :)