PDA

View Full Version : load of cedar picked up earlier

Dewayne Garrett
01-19-2008, 11:20 PM
What would be the recommendations for having this cut? My wife was wanting a cedar chest and I came across this find so now guess I can do it.
http://usera.imagecave.com/Texanx5/WoodWorking/jan808003.JPG
http://usera.imagecave.com/Texanx5/WoodWorking/jan808001.JPG
I found a guy today that told me he could saw it some time next month using a portable sawmill. What should I ask for 4/4 or should I ask for something else? He told me over the phone it should not run a bundle to cut if I could haul it in the back of my pickup. I told him it wasn't full but a nice load.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking of an amish style finish outside leave inside unfinished for aroma on the chest. I've had a request for a few others but may could do them in oak or something and line for that I'd think possibly need it saw'n thinner?

Jon Bonham
01-19-2008, 11:25 PM
How long before that wood is ready to use?

Dewayne Garrett
01-19-2008, 11:32 PM
It has been cut and sitting in a field for a few years so should be ok once cut to lumber ? I can let it set for a while but figure it is dry and fine to go.

Richard M. Wolfe
01-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Cedar is a wood that stores well in the log and dries well. By drying well it I mean it doesn't shrink much and stays flat. Here in central Texas it's usually ready in less than a month in warm weather and longer in the winter months. If you want to preserve the cedar odor don't have it kiln dried as it will drive the oils off that give it the smell. And for the odor I learned a lesson about storing. I stored some in an enclosed area that got very hot in the summer. By the time I was ready to use it the smell was pretty much gone. When we mill aromatic (eastern red) cedar we cut it on the 4/4 scale on a Woodmizer which gives 1 1/8" rough cut material and when it's ready to use can usually get 7/8" planed boards out of it. For lining a chest or closet the material is usually cut to 1/2". From the ends of the logs it looks as if you may have some bad spots or bark inclusions - hope it turns out OK.