PDA

View Full Version : New Shop Fox Classic Cursors w/pics

Cary Falk
01-19-2008, 10:45 PM
I have had my SF Classic fence on my old Unisaw for about 6 months and the only complaint I have had since day one was the magnified cursor. I felt that it sat too high above the ruler and if you looked anyway but dead square you could be off in your measurement. I also wanted to put one on the left side also for when I do angle cuts.

I thought I would post the results in case somebody else had the same problems with the original cursor I did. I took some 3/16" Al and 1/4" plexiglass and tried some different designs. This is the final design.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0077.jpg

I need to get some shorter screws tomorrow to lessen the stack of washers. The plexiglass is tapped for the screws. I have a spacer (washer)between the plexiglass and the Al. This allows me to play with the distance between the ruler and the plexiglass. I think I got it at a resonable distance that it won't be too low but still give me an accurate measurement when I look at it slightly off square.
The last picture is of it's twin on the left.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0076.jpg

Thanks for looking.

bertrand challier
07-16-2012, 11:07 AM
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0077.jpg

I need to get some shorter screws tomorrow to lessen the stack of washers. The plexiglass is tapped for the screws. I have a spacer (washer)between the plexiglass and the Al. This allows me to play with the distance between the ruler and the plexiglass. I think I got it at a resonable distance that it won't be too low but still give me an accurate measurement when I look at it slightly off square.
The last picture is of it's twin on the left.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0076.jpg

Thanks for looking.[/QUOTE]

Bill White
07-16-2012, 2:20 PM
Maybe I'm just dumb, but I set my cursor and measure as well. Just make me feel better.
Bill

Marc Burt
08-20-2016, 8:14 AM
This is an old thread but I figure it's short enough to bring back.

I just assembled my new Griz 1023 and it came with this fence. The first thing I noticed, even before making a cut, was how bad the parallax is with this magnified cursor. It's terrible. So I'm looking for solutions. Has anybody else done something about it? Ideally I'd like to just order one from another fence system as there are enough items in my project list but I'd like to see what others have made in case I go that route.

Ben Rivel
08-20-2016, 8:27 AM
Maybe I'm just dumb, but I set my cursor and measure as well. Just make me feel better.
Bill
Measure twice cut once, nothing wrong with that.

Cary Falk
08-20-2016, 8:32 AM
Some people have used the ones off the Delta Beisemeyer fence. That was before Delta was sold twice. You might be able to find them at ereplacmentparts or partsplus.

David Helm
08-20-2016, 12:25 PM
Maybe I'm old school, but I always measure from fence to blade for cuts. I do have the Griz G1023 with the same fence. I have never trusted the cursor on any saw.

glenn bradley
08-20-2016, 12:37 PM
Great enhancement Cary. I think folks that don't trust their cursor may have had mishaps by changing blades and not readjusting the cursor for the kerf difference. I use a digital readout but, before that I trusted my cursor implicitly. I did add a cannibalized piece of a HF magnifier.

Marc Burt
09-13-2016, 6:13 PM
I wanted to update this thread with what I found. I wound up ordering a replacement from Sawstop. It still has a magnifier on it but it is placed much much closer to the fence rail so there is very little parallax if any. I'm satisfied with the solution. $3.50 + $5 or $6 to ship it.

Earl McLain
09-13-2016, 8:09 PM
I wanted to update this thread with what I found. I wound up ordering a replacement from Sawstop. It still has a magnifier on it but it is placed much much closer to the fence rail so there is very little parallax if any. I'm satisfied with the solution. $3.50 + $5 or $6 to ship it.

Marc--this is not a fix I need to do for me (for now, at least), but if it's not too much trouble--adding the SawStop part number might be a helpful thing to archive. Pictures never hurt either. Thanks for sharing another solution, and taking the time to post it.
earl

Marc Burt
09-13-2016, 9:48 PM
Good idea. This is the part number from SawStop:

CBF104 012 Fence Position Indicator Lens: CBF104 012

It was $3.00, my mistake.

Dave Lehnert
09-14-2016, 8:02 PM
I have a JET cabinet saw and remember moving the cursor so it was closer to the tape measure on the rail.
I trust my cursor 99% of the time. I have no problem setting my fence exactly where I want it.
Having said that, If I am cutting a $100 sheet of plywood, I will check the fence with a tape.

John Petsche
11-09-2017, 5:32 PM
Thanks for the part number.