PDA

View Full Version : Any of you guys use the new craftsman 14" BS

Bob Hallowell
01-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Profresional Bandsaw to cut turning blanks? I have been waiting for a good deal locally to come up and hadn't had much luck. I was looking at the 14" rikon at $750 but when researching it I found the craftsman near identical BUT only can cut 8" high but I think that would be find for 90% of what I cut.

I told meself I would never buy another peice of crapsman junk but it looks like they made a good saw and alot of people seem to like it.

I just wanted a turners veiw on it.

Bob

Adam Morgenstern
01-19-2008, 11:27 PM
I have it and though I would like more resaw it is a very good saw. I have not had any power problems but do plan to eventually upgrade to a larger one. Of course when I do I think I will keep that one for smaller work.

Bernie Weishapl
01-20-2008, 9:55 AM
Bob a friend of mine has one and he loves it. He swears it is a Rikon but a different color. Don't know for sure but he cuts blanks with a 3 tpi blade and has no trouble. I have the Grizzly G0555 with a riser block for 13" cut and really like it.

Brodie Brickey
01-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Bob,

Like Bernie, I have the Grizzly G0555 bandsaw with riser block. Its worked real well for bowl blanks. Should be around 525 with a riser block.

Kaptan J.W. Meek
01-20-2008, 11:11 AM
Save the money, and the heartache.. Get the Grizzly. I, just like the gentleman mentioned above, will never buy another piece of Craftsman junk. I'm even dissapointed with my little Craftsman belt sander. My Uncle turns on a 15" Craftsman Lathe, and it is suprisingly well made. Not sure who builds it, but it is a pretty good machine w/ good features and power.

Greg Just
01-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Sears is having a 12 hour 10% off everything sale tonight starting at 6 pm. The e-mail I got says it's online only, but you can usually arrange to pick-up your order at the store.

George Guadiane
01-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Profresional Bandsaw to cut turning blanks? I have been waiting for a good deal locally to come up and hadn't had much luck. I was looking at the 14" rikon at $750 but when researching it I found the craftsman near identical BUT only can cut 8" high but I think that would be find for 90% of what I cut.

I told meself I would never buy another peice of crapsman junk but it looks like they made a good saw and alot of people seem to like it.

I just wanted a turners veiw on it.

Bob
I picked up an old 12" Craftsman at a garage sale for $25.00. I have used it hard for my smaller blanks, and love it. The 6 inch cutting height is convenient for much of my needs...
The only things I might add would be 90% means that 10% of the time you are going to be unhappy.
AND, TimberWolf (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/) Bandsaw Blades ROCK! They will make any saw cut better. The people at Suffolk Machine will ask you what saw you have, what you want to cut with it (wet/dry - soft/hard woo) then tell you what you need.

Disclaimer: I have no financial relationship with this company, They make good stuff, that's it.

Bob Hallowell
01-20-2008, 11:31 AM
TimberWolf (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/) Bandsaw Blades ROCK! They will make any saw cut better. The people at Suffolk Machine will ask you what saw you have, what you want to cut with it (wet/dry - soft/hard woo) then tell you what you need.

Disclaimer: I have no financial relationship with this company, They make good stuff, that's it.

I always use timberwolf and as a bonus I don't have to pay shipping cause were the weld and ship from is only 15 minutes from my house. and I pass it for work all the time. Right now I have a 12 hitachi with a 5" resaw and a very flimsy table. the grizz would be great but by the time I add the rizer and am approaching the 17" grizz or the rikon ant $750. I don't know to save for one of these saw or jump on the craftsman which has goten steller reviews from everyone that owns it.

Bob

Hilel Salomon
01-20-2008, 5:01 PM
There bandsaw may be the exception, but see what Creekers say about Sears' lathes in a newer thread.
Hilel.

Bob Hallowell
01-20-2008, 6:26 PM
There bandsaw may be the exception, but see what Creekers say about Sears' lathes in a newer thread.
Hilel.

Hilel,
I agree with the craftsman brand and I was the first to post on the lathe, but .......
this bandsaw has been given glowing reviews here on the creek on theter forums and from several magazines. It appears to made by RIKON. What I am asking is will the 8" resaw be ok and the motor? It really does look like this saw is a gem in a bunch of coal.

Bob

Steve Kubien
01-21-2008, 2:48 PM
I've got this saw and really like it. I've used all of the 8" capacity on wet maple and elm with no problems. Sure, larger capacity and another horse under the hood would be nice but I haven't the $$$ kicking around for that. I figure if I get 3 years out of this saw it will owe me nothing.

Cheers,
Steve Kubien

robert hainstock
01-21-2008, 3:19 PM
Once again I remind all that Sears jobs every power tool out, and like it has been said of milatary aircraft,"do you realy want to trust your life to the lowest bidder?" :eek::eek: Or your cash
Bob

Jeffrey Fusaro
01-21-2008, 4:48 PM
bob--

i was down to this craftsman saw and the grizzly G0555 ($395). i opted for the grizzly and the riser block ($75) for two reasons;

- the additional cutting height. i knew that i'd curse the saw the minute i couldn't stuff a blank under the blade guide.

- replacement blades for the craftsman are only available at sears, unless you can get someone to weld up a blade for you. i didn't have that option locally, as you do.

so far, no regrets with the grizzly. it was actually better made than i expected.

if the c-man saw isn't made by rikon, someone did an excelent job of reverse engineering it.

Walt Nollan
01-22-2008, 10:41 AM
I've got the sears 14" BS. I love it. Set up is easy, blade tracks fine and have had nothing bad to say about it.

Walt