PDA

View Full Version : Spraying Respirator Recommendation

Stan Smith
03-01-2004, 1:59 PM
That egg is still on my face. I forgot to order a respirator when I ordered my spray gun. Thinking that I could just get one from Home Depot or local paint store, but what kind should I get? Do not want a whole face or one that has to be hooked up to something. Thanks.

Stan

Chris Padilla
03-01-2004, 2:03 PM
Stan,

I did pick one up at HD. It isn't so much the mask but the type of cartridges (fitlers) that you get that matter. Of course, you want a comfortable mask so it does matter....

Take a look at 3M's web site and do a search on respirators.

Matt Woodworth
03-01-2004, 2:24 PM
That egg is still on my face. I forgot to order a respirator when I ordered my spray gun. Thinking that I could just get one from Home Depot or local paint store, but what kind should I get? Do not want a whole face or one that has to be hooked up to something. Thanks.

Stan

I think what you're looking for is the 3M 7500 with organic filters. I'm not an expert but I recently went through the same research process you're starting on and that's what I came up with. As a matter of fact, mine just arrived today. It fits well but I haven't tested it.

You can buy them here: http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/html/Subcategories/7500series.htm

I've seen them for sale in two places and their prices were about the same. envirosafety had the mask for $1 less and the filter for $1 more.

It's important to get a good fit so it's kind of a shame that I couldn't try them on. However, somebody with a body similar to mine said a medium fit him perfectly so I ordered it and it fits me too. This is what I look like: http://www.just4fun.org/family/Vanguard . Based on your little picture I'd guess you're a medium or a large. Maybe you can compare yourself to me and make that call yourself.

I hope this helps.

Don Abele
03-01-2004, 2:27 PM
Stan, there are a lot of respirators out there. 3M and MSA are the top brands. The key is not who makes it, but that it is comfortable on you. They do come in sizes and it's important that you get one that fits. A half-mask type is what you are looking for. I recommend one with removable filters if this is going to be an on-going hobby.

For the cartridges, you want an organic vapor cartridge. These are essentially nothing more than charcoal filters. Most are colored black or gray, but can also be other colors (the ones we use on my boat are yellow/magenta for the 3M and black/gray for MSA).

Respirators should be inspected prior to each use (especially the little rubber valves). They should be cleaned (warm water) after each use. And finally, they should be stored in a zip-lock bag when not in use. Filters should be changed when breathing through them starts to become difficult or if you can smell the fumes through them. (We change ours out every 14 days regardless).

Stan Smith
03-01-2004, 7:45 PM
"You can buy them here: http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/html/Subcategories/7500series.htm "

I've seen them for sale in two places and their prices were about the same. envirosafety had the mask for $1 less and the filter for $1 more."

Thanks for the help all. Matt, I'm not sure what the mask comes with is the filter, etc.. extra? Not sure what I should order. Their site says the mask is #7500 then they refer to other numbers for the filters, etc.. Can you help me out a little more, please? Thanks again.

Stan

Stan Smith
03-02-2004, 5:12 PM
Please disregard the previous post. I called the place today and ordered all the necessary stuff. My sprayer got here today so I'm almost ready to go. Thanks to all for the words of help.

Stan