PDA

View Full Version : The series of four cowboy busts

Wolf Kiessling
03-01-2004, 1:14 PM
As promised, here is a posting of the series of cowboy busts as they evolved. I may eventually add one or two more to this series but then will change to a different format.

1. The first one is an older fellow with my "standard" facial expression and forms the basis for the following pieces.

2. Using my duplicator, I made a rough out for the "Jessie Chisholm" bust. I used the same proportions and clothing but left he head oversize and blank on the rough out. I carved the face to match the model (next picture), added some fancy work to the self contained base and mounted the whole thing on a red oak pedestal. It was finished with fruitwood colored danish oil to resemble a well worn piece of leather. It rests now in a permanent display at the Chisolm Trail Heritage Center in Duncan, OK.

3. Using the duplicator again, I roughed out the shape for the "Thinking About Saturday Night" bust, again leaving the head blank and oversized. I gave this guy what I consider a wistful smile, maybe working on a Wednsday afternoon or evening. I used a piece of aspen with a lot of streaks in the wood to create the look of working clothes and, it's not visible in the picture, gave him a crumpled and worn hat. I tried to convey the appearance of a hard working, dirty, tired man maybe daydreaming a bit about the upcoming weekend.

4. The "Saturday Night - Shined, Showered and Shaved" was sculpted directly, using a piece of clear basswood, because I could not use the duplicator due to the face being radically different from the base model but I also had to change the clothing. This guy got a silly little grin, he might already be a little snockered and of course he is dressed for town.

Chris Padilla
03-01-2004, 1:48 PM
Exemplary work, Wolf!

John Miliunas
03-01-2004, 1:58 PM
Shoooooot, Wolf! Not even in a couple years' worth of Sundays! Man, you are blessed. Even if I could surpass my own physical shortcomings, there's just no way I could ever come up with anything even close! If you're looking for a "vote", I'd say to go ahead and continue the series a bit longer! Beautiful work! :cool:

Dick Parr
03-01-2004, 4:02 PM
Outstanding wolf!

Joe Tonich
03-01-2004, 4:21 PM
Great work Wolf! That first one looks like you used Ken for a model! I love looking at your carvings. You are truly gifted. Keep the pic's coming!

Joe

Bill Karow
03-01-2004, 4:33 PM
Wolf -

the busts are simply incredible. You have an amazing gift.

How tall are the different busts? I'm trying to get a sense of the scale you've used.

Thanks-
Bill

Glenn Hodges
03-01-2004, 5:50 PM
I am in awe of your talent. The carving is great, but the expressions are the best. Thanks for sharring.

Tyler Howell
03-01-2004, 5:56 PM
Yah Wolf those other guys are real nice but the one at the bottom. He's the man.

Rob Littleton
03-01-2004, 6:15 PM
You're a gifted man Wolf.

Those carvings are awesome.......

If you ever do the face of Jesus, you got me as first bid :-)

Glenn Clabo
03-01-2004, 6:30 PM
Without a doubt...simply awesome!

Wolf Kiessling
03-01-2004, 8:15 PM
Wolf -

the busts are simply incredible. You have an amazing gift.

How tall are the different busts? I'm trying to get a sense of the scale you've used.

Thanks-
Bill

Here are the various heights, Bill:

The copper toned one is 13"
Jesse Chisholm is 17"
Thinking About Saturday Night is 15"
Saturday Night - Shined, Showered and Shaved is 16"

Wolf Kiessling
03-01-2004, 8:20 PM
You're a gifted man Wolf.

Those carvings are awesome.......

If you ever do the face of Jesus, you got me as first bid :-)

I did a Jesus face as a commission recently but it was a pyrograph. It was done in conjunction with a carved Chi Ro. I did Him with a shawl over his head. I've been wanting to do a full, in the round bust of Jesus with a crown of thorns but haven't been able to figure out how to do a satisfactory thorn crown. I've looked at a lot of other people's work but haven't found a crown that I liked yet (carved/sculpted that is, many flat works are beautiful) I keep thinking about it all the time, maybe within the next couple of years I can come up with a satisfactory way to do it. The thorns just have my stymied......

Charles McKinley
03-02-2004, 8:06 PM
Hi Wolf,

Ther carvings are incredible! I love your work.

Have you thought about making a crown from crab apple branches using the natural thorns? The crab apple around here have tons of thorns an inch to 1 1/2" long. You may be able to attach this or even inbed it in the sculpture. Just my uneducated ramblings on carving.

Steve King
03-02-2004, 8:11 PM
Wolf,

What can I say but; WOW

Thanks for showing your work.
Steve

Wolf Kiessling
03-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Hi Wolf,

Ther carvings are incredible! I love your work.

Have you thought about making a crown from crab apple branches using the natural thorns? The crab apple around here have tons of thorns an inch to 1 1/2" long. You may be able to attach this or even inbed it in the sculpture. Just my uneducated ramblings on carving.

Charles, the thought of using something with natural thorns never entered my mind. I'll have to think about that (hope it doesn't hurt)
:D It may come to that even though that is probably not the best way to go