PDA

View Full Version : Zero clearance throat plate for delta contractors saw?

keith micinski
01-19-2008, 7:53 PM
I just went to my local wood working shop and the only thing they had for a delta was a right tilt one and the slot for the blade to get started was in the wrong spot. I almost bought it but you couldn't even set it down flush to start it with the blade down and I wasn't sure if I could keep it square while lowering it on the blade plus it didn't seem very safe.

Mike Marcade
01-19-2008, 8:57 PM
If you have a router and a flush trim bit, you can just make one. Just use your metal throat plate for a template. Otherwise Leecraft makes Phenolic ones that you can get from Woodcraft or Rockler or the like.

keith micinski
01-19-2008, 9:01 PM
Thanks I think I would rather by one because I don't know how I would add the screws so that I could adjust it in the slot.

keith micinski
01-19-2008, 9:06 PM
The one at woodcraft says it is for both left and right but that was what the one I bought said and it wouldn't work. I think maybe I might just buy the one locally and rout a channel for the blade to set it flat.

Mike Marcade
01-19-2008, 9:10 PM
I bought that same one at Woodcraft (PN 142759) several years ago and it works on my Delta contractors saw.

The one I have has slots on both sides partially cut though the insert.

keith micinski
01-19-2008, 9:12 PM
I guess that makes sense. The one I had only had a slot on the wrong side.

Mark Rios
01-19-2008, 9:44 PM
Keith, please be very careful when cutting the slot in the ZCI. DO NOT try to lower the ZCI onto the blade. If the ZCI won't fit down all the way because it hits the blade then put on a smaller diameter blade. Then install the ZCI and move your fence over one side of the ZCI and clamp a board down on the other side of the blade. ONLY THEN raise the blade up through the ZCI. Once you get a slot started the you can mount up the 10" blade and make the slot as big as you want.

Just wanting to keep you safe.

BTW, I also really like the Leecraft ZCI's. You can also get them through Amazon (I got mine through them) and they were cheaper than Woodcraft or Rockler. This is the one that I got (4 of them). http://www.amazon.com/Leecraft-DL-1U-Clearance-Table-Insert/dp/B0000223VB/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1200797065&sr=8-2 It has starter slots for right OR left tilt saws. I have a Unisaw but maybe someone here can tell us if the hole is the same for a contractors saw.

HTH

Mike Marcade
01-19-2008, 9:59 PM
That DL-1U fits all Delta saws, Unisaw and Contractor included.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41p-BsV75qL._AA280_.jpg

keith micinski
01-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Ya I wasn't going to try and lower it onto the blade, even though the woman at the store was really hassling me about it when I took it back, which I found weird. I will probably just order one with a slot already in it so I don't have to mess with routing a slot in one here.

Josiah Bartlett
01-20-2008, 1:02 AM
I just use a 7-1/4" circular saw blade in the table saw to get the slot started.

keith micinski
01-20-2008, 1:09 AM
I guess I didn't think of tha. Maybe I will do that instead. I think the zero clearance throat plate locally was a few dollars cheaper.

Russ Sears
01-20-2008, 9:09 AM
I made a ZCI yesterday for my Delta Contractor's saw. After template routing it using the original insert, I raised the blade (with the original insert in place), lined the saw fence up with the side of the original insert and cut to within about an inch of the front end of the ZCI.
I then glued a thin piece of stock, perhaps 2 inches square by 1/8 inch thick, into the slot at the very back end of the ZCI to serve as a splitter.
I forgot to mention that I used calipers to get the thickness of the original insert including the projection of the adjusting screws and used that dimension to define the thickness of the wood for the ZCI. I purposely made it a hair thicker and then sanded it to final thickness.