PDA

View Full Version : Safety Goggles what type

Micheal Donnellan
01-19-2008, 7:42 PM
Safety Goggles and co2 lasers

I have seen Safety Goggles for Co2 lasers for sale with info on how dangerous the laser is to you. My question do you really need the $200+ goggles or will the cheaper type work. I have read also that such Safety Goggles were not need and common Safety Goggles were fine.

Reading the web is fine and all but I would like an answer from those with real world experience if possible.

Doug Griffith
01-19-2008, 9:34 PM
It's all about wavelength. You want 190-370nm,10600nm. I've heard that any standard plastic safety glasses would do the job but decided to play it safe. Search for Phillips Microlite Laser Glasses(LS-CD2-51) on Google. They go for approximately $30-$40 and are the correct wavelength for C02 lasers.

Cheers,
Doug

Micheal Donnellan
01-19-2008, 10:54 PM
Seen them not too bad but really need goggles as have to wear prescription glasses as it is. My vision feels like its getting worse. I need goggles or glasses that will fit over my current frames. I was blind once from arc eye I don’t want to stay blind next time.

James Aldrich
01-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Here is a site that has co2 goggles for around $35.

Jim

http://store.oemlasersystems.com

http://store.oemlasersystems.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=32_7_21

Anthony Scira
01-20-2008, 9:34 PM
Do you really need them if all the doors are closed ?

Frank Corker
01-21-2008, 9:29 AM
Tony you shouldn't need to have to wear them with the safety systems in check, generally only if you are going to by-pass them using magnets (not recommended for obvious reasons) Michael has had a bad run once and he just doesn't want to risk the same thing again.

Micheal Donnellan
01-21-2008, 11:29 AM
any other places yopu recommend. the Last place is $172 postage! which seed a bit much

Anthony Scira
01-21-2008, 11:51 AM
"Michael has had a bad run once and he just doesn't want to risk the same thing again."

Oh please tell me more !

Rob Bosworth
01-21-2008, 12:28 PM
According to the ANZI standards for laser safety compliance, you can use any polycarbonate lens saftey eyewear. You can probably use almost any clear lensed safety glasses, but the polycarbonate ones give you extra time to "duck" when a stray beam happens to hit you. Because of the wavelength of CO2 lasers, 10640 nm, the wavelength is absorbed any any clear medium. So standard safety glass eyewear will protect you from a stray beam from a CO2 laser.

Other wavelength laser systems require wavelength specific safety shielding. Like Nd:YAG, or a 1064 fiber laser beam will pass right through uncoated safety glasses. These wavelength lasers will also pass through the mucus membrane and the clear lens of the eye, only to be focused onto the retina of the eye. Some eye surgery is performed using these wavelength lasers, where they will cautorize leaking blood vessles on the surface of the retina. The eye surgeon actually uses the lens of the eye to help focus the beam to the retina.

Mike Mackenzie
01-22-2008, 7:30 PM
You can check these guys out.

http://www.kentek-laser.com/