PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Selling a Pick-em-up-truck

Rob Russell
01-19-2008, 7:24 PM
Well, I've decided that we're not using our pickup enough to justify keeping it. Here's the SMC thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=4620) from when I got it.

The thing is, I just rolled over 12,000 miles on it. Yep - 12K, not 120K. I'm wondering if an ad in the local paper is the best way to sell something like this, perhaps Ebay.

None of the vehicle price estimators seem to properly credit really low mileage like this. I'm not expecting a fortune for the truck, $21-22K. I've put a couple thou of extras into it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Rob

Ben Grunow
01-19-2008, 8:29 PM
My only experience with selling used cars. trucks and boats is that you should make the first offer work as you will be aggravated by all the tire kickers and crazy, non-english speaking phone calls you have to endure in order to take a loss on a nice vehicle. BTDT.

What make and model is it? I would be interested if my truck were a couple years older and I wasn't flat broke (prepare to hear more stories like this), especially with the price of new vehicles. On the other hand, rates are low.

The very least you should do is try, you can always decide to keep it.

Jim Becker
01-19-2008, 9:03 PM
I got zero responses to any ads I posted in the paper when I sold my Tundra two years ago. I sold it by having it on the front lawn with a for-sale sign in the windows...not as much money as I actually wanted for it (low mileage, too, although not that low), but a few thousand more than I was offered in trade. And I agree with Ben, if you can't get a reasonable return, keep it and make adjustments to your insurance coverage to help lower the "Carrying cost".

Rob Russell
01-19-2008, 9:14 PM
What make and model is it?

It's a 2003 Dodge RAM 4x4 1500 Quad Cab with 8' bed, hemi engine. It's the Laramie trim level, which is their top. The only option it doesn't have is heated seats. I added OEM running boards, Rhino liner, custom hard tonneau cover that's removeable by 1 person, tailgate lock, wheel well liners, and an electric brake for towing. The truck was basically a $40K truck, with another couple grand for what I added.

Ben Grunow
01-19-2008, 9:34 PM
Try to sell it here. At least its easy and free (although we should all "contribute"). Sounds like an expensive used truck though.

I'll give you $500 sight unseen?

Ben

Mike Henderson
01-19-2008, 10:04 PM
My experience is that it's hard to get a whole lot more money based on the low milage. But it does help to make it sell faster.

One negative, perhaps, might be the gas milage (MPG). I'm just assuming that a 5.7 liter engine uses a lot of gas.

But picking up on Ben's post, I'll bid $1,000 if you'll deliver it.:)

Mike

Joe Pelonio
01-19-2008, 10:33 PM
I predict you will get a lot of people questioning the mileage, so pay the $20 or whatever it is now and get a carfax to show them you are the original owner.

On Craigslist you will get many calls but few visits. On E-bay you will get 2-3 scammers a day, and the newspaper costs a lot these days. I found the best way to sell is a sign in the window and good parking spot.

Steven Wilson
01-20-2008, 12:04 AM
You won't get anything aditional for the add-ons. You should be able to get near the high end of the KBB resale estimate though.

Rich Stewart
01-20-2008, 1:01 AM
Add 2-3K onto the price and then let them talk you down. Makes everybody happy.

Denny Rice
01-20-2008, 1:32 AM
My advice on selling pick-up truck..........DON'T DO IT. If its paid for and not eating anything, put PLPD insur on it and park it,make it your "woodworking" truck. My expierence in my 25 yrs of driving, the time you decide you don't need one, the day after you sell it you will need it. I have a "beater" a 1995 GMC 1/2 ton that I keep around for my "wood truck" and also I don't have to let my relatives and friends use my good truck 2004 Chevy when they want to "use" my truck to move something, or they've bought something at the store and they are too cheap to pay for delievery. Keep the truck.

Tim Morton
01-20-2008, 7:43 AM
Is there any warrantee left on it? I think if there is you might be well served to spend a few bucks on a transferable extended warrantee. You are trying to sell it for what someone could buy a brand new truck for and so a buyer is going to expect some protection, and a bank may also require it on a loan. You might want to look into AutoTrader magazine. I also agree that putting it up for sale here at the creek is not such a bad idea. I bet you would be getting the best demographics possible at least looking at it

Al Willits
01-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Prob is, if you want close to new for it, its gonna require someone to get a load more than likely, banks would not give top dollar for a 2003 truck, no matter how many miles it doesn't have.
Check the NADA book for numbers.
So prospective buyers may find it easier to buy a new truck.

Nothing worse than trying to sell that mint car/truck/bike that you own, BTDT and rarely do you get what you think its worth.

Either way, good luck.

Al

Rob Russell
01-20-2008, 10:49 AM
I appreciate the perspectives offered so far.

One reason I'm looking to sell it is the truck needs to be driven more. I bought an "oil change" package from the dealer when I bought the truck. It gave me coupons for 4 oil changes per year. I've used most of them - some of them were only a couple hundred miles between oil changes.

I'm already realizing that my price expectations are high. I am not expecting to sell for at the same price point as a new truck.

I'll post some of my thoughts and additional comments/questions later.

Randy Cohen
01-20-2008, 12:09 PM
We only put 4000 miles on our pick-up last year. but they were all necessary to have a pick-up miles. i would keep it. good luck with whatever you decide.

Rob Russell
01-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Well, I did some playing around in the KBB estimator. There is no difference in the Private Party estimate until I hit 30,000 miles. That doesn't make a lot of sense, but I also understand that these estimators aren't going to be able to properly estimate ultra-low mileage vehicles.

The KBB price estimates for this truck come in around $18,500. I had been hoping to get a bit over $20K for it. That still seems like a steal for a $40K (+ add-ons) truck with 12K miles on it. I definitely wasn't expecting to get anything "near new" price for it. I accept the perspectives that I'm not going to get a huge price benefit from the low mileage (maybe some increase) nor will the add-ons significantly bump up the price - just make it easier to sell the truck.

For the comments of "just keep it", it really doesn't make sense for me to do that. I'm planning to buy a folding trailer that I can store in our garage and pull with my wife's Mountaineer (rebadged Explorer). The trailer will easily handle those few "gotta haul" something moments and will be far less costly to keep around.

In terms of warrantee, there isn't anything left on it. I looked into the extended warranties, but the costs were prohibitive because it's a 4x4 and they all assumed WAY more mileage on the vehicle than I'd be doing.

Any other thoughts, comments or suggestions? I will put an ad in the Classifieds, assuming Keith considers that acceptable.

Rob

Jason Roehl
01-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Unfortunately, Rob, I think you're up against some major issues in selling your truck.

1. Mileage. With gas prices where they are, nobody wants a 12 MPG vehicle. Those that use such an animal for work have some other options available that get better mileage.
2. Hemi. You're in the first model year of the Hemi in the truck.
3. Market. Due to (1) above, while trucks may list at $40k, they aren't selling at that. The Big Three's vehicle sales, which have been overly invested in the larger ones (Trucks and SUVs) over the last 15 years are in the toilet. Since the price of new trucks is down, that puts huge downward pressure on the price of used. Unfortunately, people don't really seem to compare apples to apples when it comes to trim lines. What they see is that for a few thousand more, they can get the same truck in a lesser trim but brand-spankin' new. I don't think that KBB or Edmunds really keep up with those trends. If you can get your hands on one, you would want to check out the NADA Black book (that's what the dealers use, not the generally available Blue book). I think you might be surprised.
4. Loans. Most anyone who has $20k sitting around to spend on a truck will probably just buy new. And, if they need a loan for a $20k truck, they may as well spend another $5k and get brand new ("only a few more dollars a month...").

On the positive side, if you're not using it, and you don't need the proceeds from its sale, you may as well sit on it at the price you want. I'd even consider raising the price--otherwise people might also think something is wrong with it.

Good luck.

Steven Wilson
01-21-2008, 5:30 PM
Rob, do you have a dealer whom you like doing business with? If so, they may be willing to help you with setting a market price. Besides the black book they'll have access to local sales records so they can determine what similar vehicals are selling for in your area. You might want to spend time visiting dealer lots to see what they're offering similar vehicals for and then adjust upwards for the low miles. I went through this a couple of months back on my wifes car. We maybe in the market for another vehical and wanted to get a good idea on what the car's worth if we decide to sell outright or trade. The dealer who sold me my truck spent a half hour figuring out what our cars market value might be. Of course he wanted to make a sale but providing good presale service may pan out for him in a few months.

Greg Funk
01-21-2008, 5:53 PM
Rob,

I feel your pain on the depreciation. I bought a new M5 in 2000 in Canada when the Cdn dollar was worth around $.70US. I'm keeping it but I don't like to look at what they're selling for now.

In any case, have a look at Autotrader.com I don't know what it costs to list there but it will give you a better idea of what similar vehicles are selling for. There is at least one person selling a similar vehicle to yours with 50k miles for $21k.

I suspect the market for used cars/trucks is not too bad right now as people will be more hesitant to spend money on new.

Greg

Greg Funk
01-21-2008, 5:59 PM
...or you could paint it like this and ask $28,995. This truck has 9,076 miles.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=233584015

Brian Elfert
01-21-2008, 10:10 PM
I don't doubt you paid $40k for your truck, but man that seems like a lot for a half ton truck, even with leather and hemi.

As a point of information, I bought a 2003 Dodge 3500 quad cab dually in cloth long bed with Cummins diesel new for under $35,000 after rebate. I later bought a 2005 Ford F350 crew cab dually long bed diesel with leather for a hair over $40,000.

I wish you luck in selling your truck. At least you aren't trying to sell a house like I am.

Danny Heisner
01-22-2008, 1:13 AM
What you have on your hands is a spectacular cowboy truck! I would suggest a classified in a local horse paper or see if the local western store would let you park it up there for a few days for a cut.

12mpg is GREAT mileage for pulling a horse trailer and that Cummin's will do the trick. My dad is in to horses big time and I grew up driving trucks like that.

I can tell you that I sold my truck several years ago and have many times wished I had kept it. Now I drive a 30mpg car, and have to go borrow the mother in law's truck.... which happens to be a red quad cab Dodge dually that passes everything but a gas station. It's my dream truck though!

At least I'm not making car payments.

Good luck on selling the truck!

Danny

Rob Russell
01-22-2008, 7:38 AM
I don't doubt you paid $40k for your truck, but man that seems like a lot for a half ton truck, even with leather and hemi.

As a point of information, I bought a 2003 Dodge 3500 quad cab dually in cloth long bed with Cummins diesel new for under $35,000 after rebate. I later bought a 2005 Ford F350 crew cab dually long bed diesel with leather for a hair over $40,000.

I wish you luck in selling your truck. At least you aren't trying to sell a house like I am.

I'll admit that sticker on the truck was just under $40K, but that's not what I paid for it. I just priced out the same thing new and it comes up to a sticker of about $41.5 - but has about $6K of incentives right now, so it's mid-30's before you start haggling with a dealer. My guess is you could get the truck new for about $33K now, assuming you can get a dealer down another couple grand.

One thing that has changed is the 1500 appears to no longer be available in the Laramie trim level with the Quad Cab and 8' bed.

Jeff Heil
01-22-2008, 9:20 AM
I would suggest you target the pick up crowd to get the best offers. Anyone that keeps vehicles for the long haul would see yours as a good deal. See if you can put feelers out to people that you know that work construction or as Danny suggests the horse trailer crowd. Any contractor supply houses in your area that would let you put up a poster?

Ed Garrett
01-26-2008, 9:37 PM
I had the same question a couple of years ago. Mine was an unusual sale too, so I wasn't confident that traditional techniques would work. One day I noticed my next door neighbor, a garage sale-a-holic, setting up a huge sale in his yard. He's a good friend, so I asked him if I could put my truck in his yard along with a flyer. I went on to work expecting nothing. Bam! It sold!!! He told me people were crowded around the truck all day.

In retrospect it makes good sense. The type of people who hit garage sales on a Friday are always looking for a bargain, and they also need something to carry other bargains home in. It probably also was looked at by far more potential buyers than one on a car lot or in a classified add.

So my suggestion is that anything which makes for lots of exposure will work...

Rich Engelhardt
01-27-2008, 9:46 AM
Hello Rob,

banks would not give top dollar for a 2003 truck, no matter how many miles it doesn't have.
Check the NADA book for numbers.
So prospective buyers may find it easier to buy a new truck.

+1 to what Al said.

Miles and/or years really cut into what banks are willing to loan.

I got "bit" bad last Aug. on my 2004 Odyssey Van.

Have you looked into trading it in on something more basic?
Seriously.
It's usually not the direction most people will tell you to go - mostly beacuse they don't understand the way the whole "game" is played.

I only go by "cost per year to operate", not actual buying and/or selling price. It's far more accurate in the long term.
I should also add - never - and I mean never buy something you "love".

You mentioned your wife has a Mountaineer - and we know about the truck.
What's the third vehicle you have and how soon are you looking to turn that one?

Peter Stahl
01-28-2008, 7:27 AM
The other thing that will make it hard for you to sell a Dodge is there bad reputation for Transmissions to go bad. This was why they had to go to a lifetime limited warrenty. Like the others said low gas milage is another killer. Put a plow on it and rent it to a landscaper who does snow. Good luck, hope you sell it.

Chris Padilla
01-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Start with the routes of advertising that don't cost you any or much money: sign in the window in front of the house, a sign in the window at a popular shopping place that might not care, post it a work, post it in Craigslist, post it at SMC, the local paper or town paper might be free, Thrifty Nickel?, other online freebie places (Google is your friend). Do you frequent any Dodge Truck forums? Google, Baby, Google!! :D

Oh, and good luck!!

Rob Russell
01-28-2008, 12:59 PM
What's the third vehicle you have and how soon are you looking to turn that one?

My daily driver is a 1992 Lincoln Town Car with 142K+ on it. I had to have it towed twice last year, so the reliability has hit the point where I think it's time to replace the car. That's what I'm actively looking at replacing now. Getting rid of the truck is part of what I need to do to replace the Lincoln.

Rob Russell
01-28-2008, 1:01 PM
The other thing that will make it hard for you to sell a Dodge is there bad reputation for Transmissions to go bad. This was why they had to go to a lifetime limited warrenty. Like the others said low gas milage is another killer. Put a plow on it and rent it to a landscaper who does snow. Good luck, hope you sell it.

This is a newer model transmission which was after the lemons. Because it's a 1500, it's not really setup for plowing. Gas mileage isn't bad for something this big - 16-17 on the highway.

Tom Godley
01-28-2008, 8:50 PM
Looks like a nice truck - I have been thinking of getting a pickup as a second car at my weekend house. I have a SUV but it is too nice and really not big enough to haul much stuff. A pick-up would be better. But I really have not started to look

I own a transport company and am buying cars all too often - you can really lose a lot of money when you switch cars every few years.

I find that the "retail" price is usually higher than you will ever get -- maybe a dealer can get that but it is hard for a private party. Even the "private party price" I see on some look to be high.

I have purchased quite a few high line cars - that have very few miles - normally coming off two year leases. You would be surprised how the very low miles does not add all that much to the price - The low mile cars really are the best value.

Buy the time you unload the truck and the Lincoln and buy something else -- that will also drop in value. You can buy a lot of fuel - even at $3 for the truck. Unless the truck just does not work for you.

I can not remember how CT works with sales tax -- our trades reduce the tax -- some states make you pay on the whole thing -- I think Mass was like that. I hate selling cars -- I never think I ever made any money on them vs trading.

Let us know what you finally do! Price

Rob Will
01-29-2008, 1:06 AM
Geez.....why would anybody drive around in a Lincoln when they have a like new pickup in the driveway? :eek::eek::eek:

If that truck has an 8' bed I would keep it.:cool::cool::cool:

You have already taken the big depreciation, the miles you put on that truck now are the cheap ones.

Rob

Rich Engelhardt
01-29-2008, 5:36 AM
Hello Rob,
Given that - I believe I'd shop the pickup all over town on a trade-in and try to sell the Lincoln.

As Tom points out, tax is usually figured on the money difference between the trade and the new vehicle - if it's a new vehicle. If you trade on a used vehicle, most states tax you on the actual selling price of the vehicle.

If you have several thousand dollars of equity in your trade, it can add up quick.

Rob Russell
01-29-2008, 10:32 AM
I'll answer a couple of the comments that have been made.

In Connecticut, the value of a trade does reduce what I have to pay sales tax on. $16,700 trade-in value = $1000 CT sales tax @ 6%.
The truck really isn't practical for me to use as a daily driver. One issue is parking it in the garage at work. I give blood every other week (platelets, not whole blood for those understand) and am trying to find a place to park at around 10:30. By 10:30, the garage I have access to is full in the winter. The truck won't fit into the other garages that Security could send me to (too tall for the pipes that hang down or too tall for the entrance gates). That could turn into a real hassle in terms of parking.
I need something that's comfortable for 4 adults for an hour or so. While the back seat is decent, I wouldn't really want to put my wife back there for an hour. This is the Quad Cab, not a Mega Cab or true Crew Cab.I major reason I'n looking to divest myself of the truck is that it's not getting used enough to justify keeping it. It sits outside - not in a garage (too long for the garage). It will literally start to rust away because it doesn't get driven enough to heat up the drivetrain and evaporate the moisture off. I don't want to see that happen.

Rob

Chris Padilla
01-29-2008, 10:53 AM
Rob,

What do you plan to replace the truck and Lincoln with? Do you see the need for a truck at all in your future? My Toyota Tacoma Double-Cab Long Bed is basically a Camry with a 6' bed on it (TRD Sport Pkg, paid about 28k). It is roughly a foot longer than a normal 6' bed truck and isn't too bad to park but quite comfy inside for 4 adults. If you are careful with the gas, you can get 20 mpg and if you aren't, 17 is the norm. You can also get the non-Long Bed which is a 5' bed but I always thought those looked funny. They are slightly cheaper.

Basically, the DC/LB Tacoma is the most expensive Tacoma you can get but it really turned out well for the 3 of us and I'm glad I got it. It should serve us very well for a long, long time. My only beef with the truck is the ride height and the fact that it is a "pre-runner".

The "pre-runner" is bascially a 4WD that is NOT a 4WD. In other words, it is all setup as a 4WD (ride height, tires, wheels/rims, etc.) but simply is not a 4WD. Lowering it in the aftermarket is very expensive whereas lowering other Tacomas is basically a bolt-on, cheap affair. I'd like to lower my truck to put smaller tires on it and thus improve (I believe) the gas mileage. If Toyota ever comes out with such a double-cab/long-bed type of truck, I would most likely make the switch. I understand such trucks exist but they are not imported here.

Rob Russell
01-29-2008, 1:41 PM
I'm looking at a 2007 Lincoln Town Car, the Signature Limited edition. The local dealer has some Ford-certified program cars (fleet rentals, etc.). The one I'm most interested in has about 10,500 miles on it, comes with a 6 year, 75K warranty. New that vehicle sticker more than $45K, I figure new I could get new for low $40's (Ford supplier discount). They're asking $29K for the program car, know I can get another $2K out of that, so the price of 1-year old used is a full 1/3 off of new.

I've been the "slightly used" route before. The current Lincoln I'm driving I bought in 1993 a year old with 8500 miles on it and my previous car I bought a year old in 1980 with 13K on it.

The rare hauling duties would be via a folding trailer that I store in the garage and pull with my wife's Mountaineer.

Chris Padilla
01-29-2008, 2:42 PM
I just know that I require a truck to haul stuff...simple as that. I guess I grew up with one car and one truck in the family and now I'm doing that myself! If you have a house, you need a truck! :D

Rob Russell
01-29-2008, 3:11 PM
I just know that I require a truck to haul stuff...simple as that. I guess I grew up with one car and one truck in the family and now I'm doing that myself! If you have a house, you need a truck! :D

I'm looking at the trailer for those hauling duties.