PDA

View Full Version : Easy Chairs Completed

Calvin Hobbs
01-19-2008, 6:19 PM
I had an extremely busy year in 2007...Therefore my shop output was dismally low, unfortunately. I posted progress pictures back in June, probably, so sorry about the redundancy.

My only projects completed are these two reproductions of a Charleston Easy chair from the mid-eighteenth century. The upholstery is scheduled so I braved the weather to get a few pictures before they get covered up. I struggle with photographs so I have better luck taking them outside, too bad it is in the teens today.

The legs are mahogany, the secondary woods are poplar and Southern yellow pine. Finished with shellac.

These chairs were not too difficult, but I started them in February and just finished them in November, a brutally long schedule.

Thanks for checking them out and I would be interested to know what everyone thinks. Cal

Larry Anderson
01-19-2008, 6:57 PM
What do you mean easy? not if you made the legs. Very nice.

Ben Hobbs
01-19-2008, 9:21 PM
As usual, you did a great job. What about the doublechest? Dad

Jim Becker
01-19-2008, 9:28 PM
Very nice. I'm looking forward to seeing them in final form once you get them upholstered, too.

Calvin Hobbs
01-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Very nice. I'm looking forward to seeing them in final form once you get them upholstered, too.

Me too, Jim. It's been a long time coming. I have almost as many unfinished pieces in my dining and living rooms as I do finished. They are picking them up on the 29th, it will be nice to actually sit in them. I will try to post once they are done. Thanks for you comments. Cal

Calvin Hobbs
01-20-2008, 12:38 PM
As usual, you did a great job. What about the doublechest? Dad

I'm a little behind on that one, Dad. Hopefully today I can finally get my shop cleaned out enough to move them in and get moving. I look forward to seeing yours. Cal

Calvin Hobbs
04-14-2008, 6:20 PM

Well Jim, for what it's worth, they came back upholstered a few weeks ago. They make a great statement in our living room. All in all a very satisfying project.

Cal

Ernie Hobbs
04-17-2008, 8:37 AM
nice work. I can't wait to see them in person.

J. Z. Guest
04-17-2008, 9:17 AM
Very nice Calvin! Did you make the legs or buy them? (sorry if that is an insulting question) I saw a bit in Woodsmith a month or two back about how to shape cabriole legs, and it looks quite labor-intensive. Especially if you need to make matched pairs!

What all is under the upholstery, aside from stuffing? I assume some springs to act as structural support. Anything else?

Calvin Hobbs
04-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Very nice Calvin! Did you make the legs or buy them? (sorry if that is an insulting question) I saw a bit in Woodsmith a month or two back about how to shape cabriole legs, and it looks quite labor-intensive. Especially if you need to make matched pairs!

What all is under the upholstery, aside from stuffing? I assume some springs to act as structural support. Anything else?

Yes I made the legs. Cab. legs are in general not too difficult. With a few repetitions it becomes a quick process. Just like all woodworking, even shaped work, it boils down to a series of easy steps. Too keep them matching it helps to go through each stage before moving on, e.g. Turn all 4 feet before moving on to cutting the profile, and so on.

The upholstery is usually jute webbing stretched over the frame, then springs in the seat and back (18th c chairs did not have these), padding, covered in muslin, then covered in whatever fabric you choose. The seat is a 4" stiff foam pad. They are very comfortable, and these chairs are nice and wide to fit a large person (yours truly) pretty well. Thanks for your comments. Cal

Ben Hobbs
04-17-2008, 12:32 PM
They look great. I'll see them in May. Dad