PDA

View Full Version : Maple and Walnut Bed Finished

Scott Coffelt
03-01-2004, 12:52 PM
I finally got the finish on the bed I have been working on for the last month off and on. I forgot to take pics prior to the wife making the bed. The headboard and footboard are assembled with M&T's and dados. There are two inlays of walnut across the headboard and footboard. The picture doesn't show it, but the walnut accents on the headboard are a tiger or quilted figured, very pretty in person. It has a two coats of Tung oil and then clear lacquer and wax. The side rails are attached with bed hardware from Rockler, I have also installed 1 1/4" angle iron along the inside lower edge of the rails to hold the box springs and provide some more rigidity to the frame.

Simple but elegant in my opinion.

Chris Padilla
03-01-2004, 1:09 PM
Great work as always, Scott!

Perfect...I've been looking for something large done in a mix of maple and walnut. The LOML will have to take a look at this. I think you used just the right amount of walnut but it seems a bit wasted on the foot rail since the bed cover, well, covers it! :)

Mike Scoggins
03-01-2004, 1:21 PM
Scott,

I like it--very nice. I agree that the mix of walnut as an accent with the maple is in the right proportion. Too often I see pieces where contrasting species are used and the loverall look is too guady. No such thing in your case.

Great work!

Mike

Donnie Raines
03-01-2004, 1:28 PM
Very nice work! Great looking lumber, too!!

DonnieR

Terry Hatfield
03-01-2004, 1:28 PM
Scott,

The bed turned out great!!!!! The wood combination looked really nice when I saw it unfinished in your shop, but the finish really made it stand out. Fantastic work!!

Terry

John Miliunas
03-01-2004, 1:51 PM
Scott, me thinks I'd accentuate on the "elegant"! Very purdy! :cool:

Scott Coffelt
03-01-2004, 2:29 PM
I agree, but I wanted to make sure that in the event no bed skirt was used or if the LOML changed her mind and decided to have the bed skirt tucked behind the footbaord it would match the Headboard.

Scott Coffelt
03-01-2004, 2:32 PM
Thanks all,

I was surprise how the grain in the panel piece of the headboard jumped out with the finish. I noticed it had character, but I really didn't realize how much. Of all things, it is 3/4" Maple ply, but the piece I picked out had some Birdeye in it and also some small dark spots, but I think they add to it also.

Jim Becker
03-01-2004, 2:42 PM
Really beautiful, Scott. That head board really "pops" and you used just enough walnut for great contrast and interest. While figured lumber isn't inexpensive, it can really make the project special...as it did here.

Dick Parr
03-01-2004, 4:00 PM
Very very nice Scott. Is that a king size bed and if so, how big did you have to make it to fit the box springs into it?

Scott Coffelt
03-01-2004, 5:08 PM
This is a full size bed. It fits snug, I miss measured by 1/2" on the length of the rails, forgot to add the plastic corner strips on the box spring. I was able to get it in but, like I said it was snug. What I did was measure the length and width of the bed and add 1". That should give about 1/2" play on each side. The rails are 1" thick. I have them set back about 1/4". I think my box spring measured out at 52 1/2" wide and 73" long, but that's just trying to remember.

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-02-2004, 12:11 PM
Scott
Just beautiful!
Daniel :cool: