PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to move about anything

Michael N Taylor
01-19-2008, 6:07 PM
I bought a mobile shop crane from a national car parts supplier they had on sale, the unit is rated for 2 ton max lifting capacity. The boom slides in and out with 4 holes for adjustment, the closes hole to the stand lifts 2 ton and the 4th hole lifts 1/2 ton with the boom extended out the fartherest. I have lifted a 15" cast iron planer from a movable base and sit it on the floor. I loaded 2 full rolls of concrete reinforcing wire and one old jointer that weighed about 500 lbs onto my pick-up truck with no help from anyone. The unit folds up to store and takes up very little room. If you have a chance to get one it really makes lifting very easy. I paid $139.00 for the unit plus tax.

Bill Ryall
01-19-2008, 6:46 PM
I also use one in my shop.

To add some utility for a specific job I was doing, I added a jib made from 1 1/2" pipe that extends about 5' out from the stock boom. It is clamped to the boom with heavy pipe clamps. On the frame end, I bolted a ratcheting winch. The wire rope runs over the top of the jig, around a block and is doubled back thru a snatch block to a shackle welded to the end of the jib. A hook is shackled to the snatch block.

I can easily lift 250lbs about 7' in the air with this arrangement. It was originally built to lift the keel mold out of my boat when I flipped it, and it was a life saver moving an awkward welded frame i was working on around.

Dewayne Garrett
01-19-2008, 7:27 PM
You talking about something like this?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=35915

or one like bolts into your truck bed? I'm curious for I'm always having to borrow a friends tractor when I need to lift tools or wood in or out of the truck/trailer. Would be nice to have something more convenient.

Jerry Booher
01-19-2008, 9:05 PM
I use my engine hoist whenever I have something heavy. New 41" tool chest from the bed of a 4x4 PU, Oneida cyclone lying on its side, etc.

I bought it after having a double-hernia repair from trying to be macho. I never want that again! If guys were the ones to give birth, the world population would rapidly decline!

Jerry

Dave MacArthur
01-20-2008, 3:56 AM
same. Check post in my sig for pics.

Randal Stevenson
01-20-2008, 4:11 AM
Do you all recommend the levelers with these?

Michael N Taylor
01-20-2008, 7:17 AM
You talking about something like this?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=35915

or one like bolts into your truck bed? I'm curious for I'm always having to borrow a friends tractor when I need to lift tools or wood in or out of the truck/trailer. Would be nice to have something more convenient.

Dewayne the picture is exactly what I am talking about.

Dewayne Garrett
01-20-2008, 9:19 AM
Thanks I see the other one now. I'm putting one on my wish list. :)