PDA

View Full Version : Dead or dying Fisch?

Gary Herrmann
01-19-2008, 5:05 PM
I'm wondering if I may have to replace my faithful little Fisch lathe. Was turning a bowl and started hearing a weird sound and getting a lot of vibration.

The motor seemed to be in a lower position and at a different angle. With the motor all the way down, I couldn't get much belt tension - I could touch both sides of the belt together with little effort.

The belt is somewhat worn, but not terribly bad. My investigation of the lathe didn't reveal too much. I'm wondering if maybe the shaft has become bent. I'm going to try to find a replacement belt and see what that does.

Anyone out there have a Fisch and know the belt length?

Mine appears to be 12.5" when I squeeze it together, but mine could be stretched.

Ugh. I suppose I could go do some flatwork...

Bernie Weishapl
01-19-2008, 6:38 PM
Gary did you check the mounting bolts for the motor. If it is lower and at a different angle one could have broken or came loose. I had one do that on my delta. Just a thought.

Rick Huelsbeck
01-21-2008, 7:46 AM
did it with my jet mini once, make sure the belt is properly alligned on the pulleys top to bottom

Gary Herrmann
01-21-2008, 8:54 AM
I did straighten one bolt. I think my belt has gotten stretched over time, so I'm going to see if I can get a replacement.

robert hainstock
01-21-2008, 11:01 AM
most belts have a part number molded into the outer edge. It may be a help. I have found the local auto parts stpre the best help with mystery belts. GOOD LUCK! :)
Bob