PDA

View Full Version : Any Suggest for New Shop "Update"

Douglas Snyder
01-19-2008, 4:55 PM
Thank you for all the input. I the input and modified my layout. I know a few mentioned about converting the Lathe Room into a Finishing Room. Since I already had a room adjacent to the Lathe Room already dedicated to airburshing and goldleafing - I use this for finishing. (Unfortunately it is not design for heavy duty airbrushing of furniture - it will be great for staining and brushing on a finish.)

Attached is the modified drawings. I did the following;

1. Rotated the TS 180 degrees.
2. Moved the air compressor into the HVAC Room.
3. Move a Lathe into the hallway.
4. Placed the Jointer and Planner Right of TS. (Each has 10 foot clearance front and back.)
5. Placed the router next to the TS to give ample infeed and out feed.
6. Moved the RAS more to the middle of counter give it 8 foot clearance on either side.

When I get finished with this project I post pic if anyone want to see how it turns out.

Thank you for all your help.

Doug

Jim Becker
01-19-2008, 9:46 PM
Coming together!

Do consider making your assembly station height adjustable so you can always have a project at the best height for what you are doing.

Bob Michaels
01-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Has anyone suggested moving your DC system to the HVAC room, in addition to your compressor, and adding some sound deadening material to the interior side of the walls. Now is the time to consider this since the HVAC room walls have not been built yet. My DC (Oneida 3 hp) is disturbingly loud and I am considering losing a little shop space, and a window, to benefit from sound deadened walls around my DC.

Douglas Snyder
01-19-2008, 10:50 PM
Bob,

I would rather enclose the DC where it is then move it to the HVAC room. The HVAC gas and I do not like to have flames near all that dust. I thought the DC are not that loud. Also I been reading here that most who enclose a unit eventually open the door to make sure negative pressure does not build. Did you have Oneida design it for you? I haven't purchase one yet and considering having them design it. Thank you for your comments. Doug

Jim Becker
01-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Has anyone suggested moving your DC system to the HVAC room, in addition to your compressor, and adding some sound deadening material to the interior side of the walls.

The dust collection system should never be in an HVAC area, especially when there is combustion involved. A separate enclosure is best for that.

Douglas, even the "quietest" dust collection systems are not quiet. Putting a sound baffled enclosure around them is a big help in keeping shop noise down. Oneida's systems are about the quietest going, but I'm glad my 2hp Commercial is in it's own room! (Along with my compressor...)

Douglas Snyder
01-26-2008, 9:50 AM
Jim,

I had the same idea about collocating the Dust Collection unit and the HVAC. Unfortunately, the sales rep at Oneida also recommended have the Dust Collection system with the HVAC. That real shocked me... they make such a big deal not to use PVC pipe, but want you to house a dust collector within 4 foot of a gas fire!!! Guess they don't sell gas HVAC units.

I was think about buying an Oneida unit, but was not so happy with their pre-sales support. I am actually willing to pay for consultation, however I had a feeling it not really available until I am commit to purchasing everything from them.

I am planning to buy the unit from them - just not the duct work. Not sure of the size.

The sale man also recommended two units. One for the shop and one for the lathe room.

Dennis Hatchett
01-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Hi Doug,
It looks like a good open layout with minimal clutter. You'll like that. My question for you is about storage. Have you considered more cabinet space. For example drawers can be built to run the length of your mitre station extensions. Those cabinets you have drawn don't seem to be enough in my opinion.