PDA

View Full Version : Pen Virus

Horst Hohoff
01-19-2008, 1:12 PM
Hello,
I, too, got infected by the penturning virus. Here is a selection of my first lot.
The woods from l to r: Olive/Bubinga/Dunno/Purpleheart/ABW/Olive/Zirikote

Steve Schlumpf
01-19-2008, 1:37 PM
Beautiful work Horst! Very nice selection of woods, great form on each - I would never have known these were your firsts! Very nice work! Good to see you posting again!

robert hainstock
01-19-2008, 1:46 PM
good work Horst. the dunno could, maybe be Lilac. :)
Bob

Joe Delfino
01-19-2008, 3:09 PM
The bug bit me also. It's bad this time of year. Your pens look fantastic. How do you finish them?

Here are a couple from my first dozen.:D I'm still working on how to get that nice finish I see on so may other people pens. Looks like I need to take another step in to the vortex.:) Left to right, cocobolo, ziricote, olive wood, not sure, walnut, and black cherry.

Brad Hammond
01-19-2008, 5:56 PM
yep....... as soon as someone buys a couple from you the vortex gets stronger.

i've used everything from wipe on poly, mylands, crystal coat and ca. i seem to bounce back and forth between mylands and crystal coat.

Bernie Weishapl
01-19-2008, 6:35 PM
Horst those are some beauties. Great job. Wait till you sell your first one or two. The black hole only gets stronger and deeper.

Ben Gastfriend
01-20-2008, 9:33 AM
All of the pens in this thread look great! I've found that the sell faster than bowls, so I have to start cranking some out too!

My 300th Post.

Horst Hohoff
01-21-2008, 3:09 PM
Hello,

Thanks for the kind comments. For finishing I use OSMO Hardwax Oil, an oil developed for wood flooring. It's a mixture of several plant oils but as far as I know without tungoil. It gives a very hardwaring surface but I must admit, I have no longterm experience with this stuff on pens yet. I've tried melamine laquer on one pen and I must say the oil surface is a lot more pleasant to touch.

Best wishes
Horst

Alex Elias
01-22-2008, 3:16 AM
Those pens look very nice. I wish I could call it a virus. I called mine a cancer. There is no end to it.
Congrats

Karin Voorhis
01-22-2008, 7:41 AM
Wonder work by you both. The virus as hit me as well. woo!!!!!! Please tell me that there is no cure for this virus though!!!!!

robert hainstock
01-22-2008, 9:50 AM
Very nice Horst. Could the Dunno be Lilac?:)
Bob

Horst Hohoff
01-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Hello,

Well, the "Dunno" is a "Dunno" because at the time of the first posting I didn't know the English name of it.
A bit of clicking through WIKIPEDIA solved the mystery ( hopefully ): it's HAWTHORNE ( Crataegus ).
It turns excellent and looks nice, but iI think a pen is just too small to show its virtues.

Cheers
Horst