PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend a chuck etc.

Chris Barnett
01-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Bought a PM3520B but no chuck yet. Any chuck and face plate recommendations. Think the lathe comes with a 2-inch plate; is that not rather small? And where is this lathe compared to others folks use. Are folks ready to change to different manufacturer or a larger size in a short time. Turning is new to me, and would like to get off on the right foot.

Bill Bolen
01-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Well you certainly started out on the right foot! That MM is among the best. Try this link for all kinds of MM related tips...Bill..
http://mustardmonster.googlepages.com/

Tony De Masi
01-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Chris,

The 3520 comes with what is listed as a 3" faceplace but is actually 3.25". I have only used a SuperNova2 chuck with no issues at all. I will however be stepping up to a Stronghold as I have some rather large blanks to spin.

Tony

Chris Barnett
01-19-2008, 1:07 PM
My experience, without mentoring, has been to buy something, then realize that a different model or brand or size would have been better suited to what I wanted to do. I hear about the Oneway and the Oliver and ask if these are the lathes that folks go to after learning. There is but one opportunity to do it right this time, so.....if there is a different brand that would be better suited to general turning, would like to know about it, since there is still time to change to another size, or brand etc.
Regarding the Supernova chuck, I have had this brand recommended, but is there a size variable, or one size fits all applications? Since this is yet to be selected, would a larger chuck be best now, or is a large chuck a nuisance for smaller blanks and what is the size range?
Thanks for your help on this.

charlie knighton
01-19-2008, 1:49 PM
get with one of the local Ktown clubs, you have a great lathe and with a little help with some clubmembers they can point ya in the right direction

try the Smoky Mountain Woodturners

smokymountainwoodturners.org

Kevin McPeek
01-19-2008, 2:05 PM
Well here is a can of worms.
I have two Supernova IIs and can recommend then, but honestly many of them will suit you fine. Most of the mfr. make similar jaws to each other. Top three Nova, Oneway, and Vicmarc all have a larger and smaller chuck and being that you have a larger lathe it might be to your advantage to go with the larger, you can still turn small stuff with a big chuck. You might not be able to work around the backside of the piece as easily but its up to you how important that is.
One of the main differences is Nova and Vicmarc use a dovetail tenon, while Oneway uses a square (90*) tenon. I'd look and see what jaws you think you may use more and compare $$ and go from there. Just make sure you get something that you like, because you'll end up with more than one eventually and you don't want to have to get all new jaws too.
I use the pin jaws a lot along with the 50mm that come with it and the powergrip jaws for larger work. I have one set, I think they call them bowl jaws or something that I have used once and the 130mm that I use for plates/platters.

As far as faceplates go, I mostly use the aluminum ones from Don Pencil I have a couple of each size.

Chris Barnett
01-19-2008, 2:37 PM
Keven, thanks; just the information that I was wanting. And thanks for the info on the woodturners club.

David Wilhelm
01-19-2008, 2:41 PM
I've had older Nova chucks and wasn't all that happy with them. I now have a talon and stronghold to me it's like night and day or should i say a pitbull and a poodle. Very happy with these.

Rich Souchek
01-19-2008, 2:50 PM
Chris,
Congrats on the Powermatic, know that you will enjoy it. They make good lathes.Most of us add a chuck (or two) when we step up in size to that lathe.
There are a number of good chuck makers, the Nova, Vickmark, Oneway, etc. Each one has it's won bragging rights and followers.
I like Oneway equipment and they have 3 chucks that work good with the 3520B. Their smallerst is the Talon, which many people here love. It is usually good for about 90% of the turning on a 3520B. Good for small up to 16" diameter platters and bowls with weight up to 80 lbs or so.
The mid sized Oneway chuck uses tommy bars, and is one of the most understate chucks around. Size wise, the body is bigger thatn the Talon is diameter, but small in size and mass due to using the tommy bars instead of a geared key. This is the only chuck I know of that will handle everything the 3520B can handle.
The large Oneway Stronghold chuck is a large, massive beauty, but is almost too large for most of my projects on my 3520B. But, if you want to core big stuff, or turn out of round big stuff, this is the size of chuck to get.
On my 3502B, I use a Talon chuck w/ #2 jaws most of the time, then another Talon with a spigot jaws for pens and thin stuff. A Stronghold w/ #3 tower jaws is used for my oversize stuff.
Rich S.

Brian McInturff
01-19-2008, 3:28 PM
Chris,
First, I'm glad to see a knoxvillian. Even though I don't live there now it is my home.

As for the Powermatic, I don't think you could've bought a better lathe at the price you paid. There are other, bigger lathes but you also pay a higher premium. For myself, I bought a Stubby, but that was due to space, my turning likes, etc. I also own a Oneway 1018 with extension and that will handle any spindle work the Stubby won't. I also have a South Bend metal lathe that I've yet to bring home(it's still in Knoxville). Powermatic is a great lathe and has a very large following.

For chucks, I own a couple Vicmarc's and a Talon. My preference leans toward the Vicmarc. I like the finish and I think they operate smoother. Probably the best advice is to take a class at Arrowmont there in Gatlinburg and try out several of the lathes and chucks. Also join the clubs and visit Woodcraft down off of Kingston Pike. You will meet people who are more than willing to help you out.;)
Brian