PDA

View Full Version : Router table useage...

Bryan Berguson
01-19-2008, 9:27 AM
I was talking to a co-worker last week about a kitchen project he was working on. He was making some trim with a router in a router table but having trouble doing it. He was having a hard time hanging onto the boards as the bit was "pulling" them away from him. Climb cut of course!

I said "You're feeding the boards from right to left correct"? He said "Yes, but it's grabbing them and almost pulling them out of my hands". Scratching my head...:rolleyes: After a round of 20 questions about bits, profiles, router speed, wood type and the alignment of the stars I finally figured out that he was setting the fence way behind the bit and cutting the outside of the boards. Visions of mangled fingers popped into my head!:eek:

I got him straightened out but haven't talked to him again to see how he made out. I'm sure it worked MUCH better!

He's one of our computer guys btw and a great web programmer. Really be tough to type with bum fingers...

Bryan

Bill Huber
01-19-2008, 10:44 AM
I am glad you got him set straight, he could have really hurt himself cutting the way he was cutting. I am sure he will never forget how to use a router table.

Jim Becker
01-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Scary. Very scary...

Mike Marcade
01-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Come on now guys ... think of the time you can save on a project with the wood just flyin' through the router like that. :D:D:D

keith ouellette
01-19-2008, 11:40 AM
After that happened a couple of time I'm surprised he kept trying. That happened to me once the first time I used a radial arm saw for a rip cut ( I was doing it wrong) and the wood flew really hard. I quit till I could get some one to tell me the right way to do it.

glenn bradley
01-19-2008, 11:48 AM
This is one of the reasons I enjoy this and a couple other forums. Some forums out there are populated by folks who love to hear themselves talk and are condescending toward the less experienced. I am sorry for the new folks who don't move past those discussion boards. The folks here never seem to tire of answering simple questions or giving newbies advice. Things that seem so obvious to some of us after doing this for awhile are just not plain to folks starting out. Glad you were able to help your friend before his nickname became 'stubby'.