PDA

View Full Version : need budget jointer recomendations.

Justin Grow
01-19-2008, 2:32 AM
Anyone got some reccomendations on a "starter" jointer? Keep in mind I'm on a tight budget and want the best bang for the $.

Jim Andrew
01-19-2008, 3:11 AM
Look at Grizzly. I bought the GO609 and it is a great jointer. You might as well get one that is big enough for what you want to do rather than have to get rid of it and move up to what you really need.

Billy Chambless
01-19-2008, 9:30 AM
Stanley #7.

:D

David Tiell
01-19-2008, 9:33 AM
You don't mention what your budget is, but I would recommend you look at the 8" jointers right off the bat. Without question there are some decent 6" jonters out there, but you will feel like you've outgrown them before long. You can get the Shop Fox and Grizzly 8" parallelogram bed jointers for about $900 shipped, and they are quality equipment. Your other option is to look for a decent used machine. Check craigslist, the local classifieds, or maybe even ebay. You may be able to find a good machine at a great price.

frank shic
01-19-2008, 10:10 AM
check out the ridgid jointer at home depot and consider getting a planer as well.

Paul Fitzgerald
01-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Here's my 2 cents. :D

There are those who will tell you to skip the "starter jointer" and spend far more than you originally budgeted for something you may not need right now. If you have the money, that's just what I'd recommend.

I say your needs and budget will point you in the right direction. Defining your needs can be difficult, but a little research will help tremendously. It will also tell you whether your original budget is adequate or whether you need to save up for a while in order to meet you needs.

I found that, for me, the price difference between a 6" and 8" jointer wasn't worth the additional capacity. After evaluating my needs, I felt I could live with a 6" jointer for a few years. So that's what I started shopping for.

I'm the kind of guy who always looks for "the best bang for the buck." Quality is important to me, but so is affordability. I ended up with three or four 6" jointers on my short list, including the Ridgid.

I got a pretty good deal on a 1-year old Ridgid and have been extremely happy with it. It's a great machine.

Paul

glenn bradley
01-19-2008, 11:38 AM
As usual the answer depends. I went with the small Delta (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=33781-32764-JT160&lpage=none). The Griz or the C-man are probably a bit better jointer due to mass. I needed a jointer I could put on my bench to use and put away when not in use. The Delta is not too heavy and allows this to be done pretty easily. The others have more iron in them and I would not want to be moving them very often.

It served me well for a couple of years and I still got around $160 for it when I sold it, IIRC. If you are looking for a floor model, the Ridgid seems to get pretty good reviews.

Matt Schell
01-19-2008, 12:08 PM
definitely look for a solid used jointer. I just got a sweet Boice Crane 6" jointer on a stand for 30 bucks. It needs knew knives and could probably benefit from v belt but it is rock solid, heavy, and runs really well, it is hands down a far superior machine to the "bench top" machines being made today.

Art Mann
01-19-2008, 12:10 PM
For a value priced 6" floor model, I think it is hard to beat the Ridgid at Home Depot. Among the major brands, I would shop price. A jointer is a pretty simple machine and they all will work well. The really expensive ones don't do much better than those modestly priced. The first jointer I owned was a 4" model from a cheapo company called AMT back in the 1970's. It would make Glenn's first jointer look like a premium model. However, it would joint a straight square edge and flatten a narrow face. I used it for several years. OTOH, I am currently looking to upgrade my Ridgid with an 8" model. There are a few situations where the 6" isn't wide enough or the bed isn't long enough.

Todd Franks
01-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Justin,

You will get varied responses, but that's why you asked. Since you mentioned a tight budget, I think the used market for a quality 6" jointer is the best bang for your buck. I bought a used 6" Delta a few years ago. It is common for folks to start at 6" and upgrade to 8" or bigger, so there is a fairly decent supply. I'd shy away from benchtop models, the beds are too short IMHO. A 6" covers 95% of my needs. There are alternative methods for that last 5%, like a #7 Stanley or a "jointer" sled for the planer. I'll probably never upgrade to a bigger jointer for space constraint reasons.

I haven't paid attention to new models since I got mine so I can't comment on specific new models. Good luck.

Brian Dormer
01-19-2008, 12:32 PM
I have a 6" Craftsman (was about $200 with C-man club discount) that weighs about 100 lbs and it's a great little jointer. I've run 6 foot 2x6's (with a little bit of care and some shop stands) and had excellent results.

Gary Breckenridge
01-19-2008, 1:01 PM
:cool:A nice $1000 jointer will cost $50 per year over a 20 year lifetime and a $500 jointer will cost $25 per year over a 20 year lifetime. Thats a difference of $25 per year. Assuming that $1000 jointer has more features and is more durable is it worth $25 per year. If you buy a really cheap jointer and have to replace it down the road you could be paying $70 per year for a lesser jointer. I'd ask how much work will be going over it and what is out there in the "Gently" used market. My 6" Jet works fine.:cool:

Bill Huber
01-19-2008, 1:45 PM
I have the little Delta and was not very happy with it until I sanded the bed and go it smooth.
I was very had to push a chuck of wood though it, I spent an hour and a half and sanded the table and now it is much better.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=73177

The back fence is not very good and moves around a lot, you can get it square but don't put very much pressure on it or it will flex.

With that said, it did do what I needed it to do and it takes up very little space in the shop and for me that is a plus....

John Shuk
01-19-2008, 2:00 PM
The Rigid is a very nice jointer. The instruction manual for assembly is great and it is well built. I don't think you'll find a big difference in machines at this level. I like mine alot but I'm sure whatever machine is available locally is going to do right by you.

matt dumney
01-19-2008, 2:26 PM
Rigid and grizzly come to mind. I asked a similar question and the responses seemed positve for both. Grizzly sells a smaller one but the table seems too short...28"

Curt Harms
01-19-2008, 4:49 PM
I just sold a very good 6" jointer for just over $200. You may be able to find good bang for the buck in your area. Check the Classifieds here and other woodworking sites, check Ebay and nearby Craisgs List sites. For myself, I decided if I was going to increase width I wasn't going to stop at 8" so went with the 12" Jet Jointer/Planer. I should stop posting here and get to work!:eek:

Curt

Adam Slutsky
01-19-2008, 7:19 PM
I had a 6" table top ryobi that wasn't working for me due to the short bed length. I recently replaced it with a 6" rigid jointer that I got used for $175. For the money it seems to work very well. Yes, I would have liked to get a better one but for the money I paid, I think it is an excellent machine.

Dewayne Garrett
01-19-2008, 8:45 PM
I picked up a used Jet the other day. Not yet learned how to use it I sniped the first few boards pretty bad but seems like a great unit. I think it is more the operator at the moment. Not sure what they are new but I think I paid 175 for this one it is a JJ-6, looks new but I know it isn't. Assume it is only a 6" not really looked that close I just was so happy to get one I unloaded it and it is still sitting until I can learn to use it. I got a few other items from the same guy to learn to use so may be few weeks.

Charlie Plesums
01-19-2008, 9:57 PM
I had the Ridgid 6 inch jointer for several years. It was a really good machine.

I kept my saw aligned so carefully that I rarely had to edge joint.

The standards for the top-rated hardwoods require that they can be finished to 6 inches width, which means they typically start at least 6 1/2 or 7 inches wide or more. That means the rough cut good wood can't be face jointed on a 6 inch jointer. Bottom line, although I felt the Ridgid 6 inch jointer was an excellent machine, it got far less use than I expected or needed. Therefore I upgraded to a wider jointer, and recommend 8 inches as the minimum width if you will be working with furniture hardwoods.

Terry Teadtke
01-19-2008, 10:04 PM
http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-Jointer/G0452

Really a good machine for the price.

Terry

Steven Wilson
01-20-2008, 12:06 AM
Since you'll probably use a jointer mainly for edge jointing, get a nicely used Stanley #7 and hunt for a Stanley 386 jointer fence (or the LV equivalent). Edge jointing with a hand plane is dead simple and face jointing is pretty easy too. Then when you can afford it get an 8" powered jointer.

Justin Grow
01-20-2008, 1:04 AM
Since you'll probably use a jointer mainly for edge jointing, get a nicely used Stanley #7 and hunt for a Stanley 386 jointer fence (or the LV equivalent). Edge jointing with a hand plane is dead simple and face jointing is pretty easy too. Then when you can afford it get an 8" powered jointer.

Well, a few months ago I bought a big lot of old bailey and stanley planes. At least 20. I just got set up to properly begin to tune them up. Once they are good, ill give them a try with a fence. I'm excited to finally begin making something in my own shop in my own basement. I know its another can-o-worms, but what's the concensus on the harborfreight units? Any better than griz? I've been trolling c-list and haven't spotted any deals yet for a used one.

Randal Stevenson
01-20-2008, 1:38 AM
Well, a few months ago I bought a big lot of old bailey and stanley planes. At least 20. I just got set up to properly begin to tune them up. Once they are good, ill give them a try with a fence. I'm excited to finally begin making something in my own shop in my own basement. I know its another can-o-worms, but what's the concensus on the harborfreight units? Any better than griz? I've been trolling c-list and haven't spotted any deals yet for a used one.

Tooooooo late, so I am reading this Two ways.
If your talking about the HF joiner, for basic edge joining and face planing, I have read it is decent if you don't have to move the fence (90 degree setting only). For miters or angles, it was more of a pita (anyone with the griz talk about its fence).

Then my mind (like I said, I should be asleep), said your trying to compare HF planes, to Groz planes. I had to reread it to make sure that isn't what I read.

Denny Rice
01-20-2008, 1:38 AM
I have to agree with Jim, Grizzly makes a great 8"jointer for the price:)

Justin Grow
01-20-2008, 3:42 AM
Oh, re the comparison I'm meaning planers, not planes. As for the hand planes that I already own, I'll give it a shot using them.