PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop Computer Buying – Update – Long

John Weber
03-01-2004, 11:30 AM
Well I finally ordered a new notebook computer for my wife last night. Thanks for everyone’s help. We debated a Dell Latitude, IBM R40, or Toshiba M35. All three were basically the same specs; the Toshiba is a Celeron wide screen and a bit heavier. In the end we choose the Dell Latitude C640 Healthcare package. When comparing the specs the Dell was about $300 less expensive then the others, lots of people recommend Dells, and we’ve had good luck with our Desktop.

The Latitude is an older model so it has been around awhile, but we weren’t looking the latest greatest. It was the highest rated Dell notebook on cnet.com (8.6), although the user comments were weaker then several others we looked at. One of the biggest selling points was available accessories, since the C series notebooks have been on the market awhile there are a wealth of accessories available on ebay for it. We added a full docking station for home with a floppy, and a docking port for Kim’s office. I found a new dock for $45 shipped as compared to Dell’s website at $299 (although it’s like $449 is you buy with the laptop – nice bait and switch Dell), and the new Port was $45 shipped including an extra AC power supply, also about $250 on Dell’s web site.

I was a shopping fool, since we saved a bit on the notebook, I was able to spring for some upgrades. We basically set up a full dock, with floppy, Logitech Elite wireless keyboard and mouse for home, and a smaller Port with Dell wired keyboard and Logitech wireless notebook mouse at the office. We may look at adding an extra monitor, depending on how the laptop works out. I also found a nice new LowePro bag on ebay, and bought a new Linksys router and the wireless Logitech devices from Amazon.

The computer is a basic: P4 M processor 2.0 Ghz, 14.1 XGA+ display, Windows XP Pro, 512 MB SDRAM, 40 GB HDD, 56K Modem, 8X DVD, built in 802.11 b wireless, with a 3 year onsite warranty for about $1450 + tax and shipping. I spent a total of $1900 for the notebook, docks, keyboards, mice, case, floppy, and router. So we stayed within our $2000 budget, and I think got a lot for our money. We’ll see if Kim wants an extra monitor or not.

Speed or the latest greatest was not the main factor, but convienence and usability most important. The notebook will see equal time at home and the office, as well as on the road. Dell has lots of options and it takes awhile to get the feel for their web site. We liked the Toshiba very well, and the IBM came highly recommended, but for our budget and needs the Dell seemed to fit. So now I need to figure out the networking, and hope everything arrives in a timely manner. Nothing like spending $2000 with several different vendors – I kind of like it.

Thanks again for everyone help and input - John

http://img.dell.com/images/global/products/latit/c610_front_122x100.jpg

Ed Falis
03-01-2004, 1:09 PM
Sounds like you did very well, John. My work machines are a dual processor 800Mhz desktop and a 2Ghz laptop - and I program for a living. So, I don't think you're missing much in terms of performance there.

- Ed