PDA

View Full Version : Need air filtration: looking at jet. Need advice

keith ouellette
01-18-2008, 11:05 PM
I am thinking of the jet 708620b afs 1000b 1044 max cfm 3 speed air filter
and the washable electrostatic outer filter. Together they are $207. My shop has a total of 4300 cubic ft. Is it big enough and is it a good product?

keith ouellette
01-19-2008, 8:18 AM
If I havn't gotten a response does it mean no one has one of these?

Jack Briggs
01-19-2008, 8:38 AM
I have the AFS1000B, but with the standard outer filter. My shop is only about 700' sq. It does pretty well, but no air filtration unit can be expected to pull dust that's settled on objects or the floor. The outer filter fills up so quickly that it's nearly impossible to attain maximum efficiency at times when it's most needed. I think my lungs are better for it.

Still - it beats a blank!

John-Paul Murphy
01-19-2008, 8:40 AM
Keith
My shop is approximately 6,700 cuft. I have that model and am happy with it. At full speed it moves the air well in the shop. It makes a very noticeable difference in air quality. However I believe it is best used in addition to a point of origin dust collection system. It would not make a very good primary collection device. for some reason the price on these units is droping rapidly. now may be the time to buy...

Greg Just
01-19-2008, 9:04 AM
Keith:
My shop is much smaller than yours, but the unit performs well. The remote and the timer features are great. When I'm done for the day, I set the timer for 2 hours and walk away. I saw the unit at a Rockler store for $189 last week and I know Amazon has it too. I got my on sale at Sears last fall for about $200.

Rich Schneider
01-19-2008, 9:04 AM
Hello Keith...I have a very large shop and have two of the 1000b and two of the older 1000 (the difference is in the way the squirrel cage fans were mounted..the 1000b fan is mounted vertically and is the "newer" design compared to the 1000). The 1000 units I have are about 8-9 years old now. The 1000b are about 4-5 years old. Overall all the units have been very reliable and do a good job. However, I am starting to have a problem with one of the older 1000 units (either the motor is dying or there is a bearing or bushing going out, but it is 8-9 years old and runs a lot. I suspect the weight of the fan which was mounted horizontally in these is the culprit). I have used both the electrostatic filters and standard filters in each type (the front of the housings on mine are deep enough to put in either). The units runs smoothly. They have a low hum when they run. At full speed there is the whoosing noise from the fans. The units are rated to take out particles down to 1 micron. I can tell you that I regularly have to clean the front filters. The main bags seem to be able to go a long time between cleaning/changing (4-5 years). I haven't done any official air quality analysis in the shop yet, but that will be done in the next couple of months. The only thing I can compare these units to is a 5th unit I have which is a Total Shop CleanAire unit that looks identical except that it has a third filter which is on the exhaust end. This unit is about 11 years old now and runs fine as well. It uses disposable intake and exhaust filters. The interior bag is basically the same as the Jet. I don't think the Total Shop CleanAire unit is made anymore, but I'm going to keep running it until I can't anymore.

keith ouellette
01-19-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the reports. I just went to buy one on amazon for $169 but the price change over night to $229. I really couldn't afford the $169. I'll have to wait for another sale. There is a used one on sale on ebay real cheap because you have to pick it up (no shipping) in person. Its in Georgia.