PDA

View Full Version : Orbital palm sander vibration help!!

John-Paul Murphy
01-18-2008, 11:01 PM
I have searched past post and see many recommendations but no actual comparisons.
I have a Dewalt dw423 that has continued to serve me well for many many years. Now I am beginning to have pain and lingering throbbing in my hands after use. Will someone who has used the Dewalt recommend another that has better dampening for the vibration?
Thanks

Joe Jensen
01-18-2008, 11:08 PM
I'll be first. I used maktia 1/4 sheet orbitals for 15 years, towards the end I used a Porter Cable 6" Random orbit too. I started to get lingering problems from the vibration. I ended up going to four Festool sanders. The best of the bunch for limited vibration is the 150/3 Random Orbit 6". Super low vibration, sounds like a sewing maching when running. The other awesome one is a 1/2 sheet. Another joy to use. The other Festools have awesome dust collection, but IMHO they are only slightly better on vibration control.

Bill Wyko
01-18-2008, 11:22 PM
If you want minimal vibration the Festool is a great sander. I have the cheapest one, the 125. The first thing that blew me away was its lack of vibration. It really is worth the money.IMHO:) My last one was a PC and it would make my hands turn numb.

Bob Goldsmith
01-19-2008, 12:16 AM
I'm sure you've thought about this, but is your hand hurting at other times also?

I've got/had carpal in both hands. I've had surgery on one so far. Using a palm sander for extended periods of time is just the type of thing to aggravate that problem.

John-Paul Murphy
01-19-2008, 9:08 AM
Thanks for the response Bob and others.
At this time it is just with the palm sander. I first developed the problem using air chisels. I try to minimize the use time with the sander but it still persist after only 10 - 20 minutes of use. Of all the tools I use the sanders are the ones that vibrate the most. I have found workarounds for other tools but the palm sander really seems to be the best tool for that final light sanding prior to application of finish.

Jim Becker
01-19-2008, 10:02 AM
I had the same issue with the PC sanders I used to use. For awhile, I used gel-filled gloves. They helped a little, but I still had numbness and had to keep my sanding sessions very short. That all changed when I picked up a Festool 150/3 sander for the first time thanks to Bob Marino. I can now sand for hours if necessary with minimal discomfort. A bit of an investment, but well worth it. Oh, BTW...the sanding results are much better than the previous tools I used, too.

Howard Acheson
01-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Keep in mind that palm sanders--as well as other sanders, except for belt sanders--work by vibration. That's what removes the material. In general, the more vibration and the more aggressive the vibration, the faster the material removal.

There are anti-vibration gloves that I have seen some woodworkers use but I have no experience with them myself.

Art Mann
01-19-2008, 10:40 AM
The July/August 2006 issue of Fine Woodworking did a comparative evaluation of random orbital sanders. From a vibration standpoint, the Festool and Makita sanders came out on top. Overall, they liked the Bosch better because it was more aggressive and produced a smoother sanding pattern, while still producing low vibration. The article was well done and is interesting reading if you can find it.

Brian Kent
01-19-2008, 10:44 AM
I purchased my Bosch 1295DVS based on a 2006 Fine Woodworking reviews of ROS's. The Dewalt tested as the second worse of the group in vibration. Best for vibration were the Festool ES25-EQ-PLUS ($165) and the Makita BO5212K ($80). The Bosch was rated "Very Good" rather than "Excellent" in comfort. Looking at all the categories again, I might have bought the Makita.

John-Paul Murphy
01-19-2008, 8:33 PM
thanks for all the replys and comments. Has anyone tried the Festool Rotex Sander I was about to order the 150/3 when I saw this design.

Bob Michaels
01-19-2008, 10:43 PM
I agree with Jim regarding the Festool 150-3. Arguably the best friend your hands will have for finish power sanding. It's a wonderful machine and the dust collection is excellent. I also have the Rotex, which I use for larger and more agrressive jobs, although I know woodworkers who use it for finish sanding. My hands down favorite for finish sanding is the 150-3. BTW, 150 indicates 150mm sanding discs (6") and the -3 indicates the machine has a 3 mm stroke which is less aggressive than the 5 mm stroke on the Festool 150-5.

Richard M. Wolfe
01-20-2008, 12:14 PM
When safety isn't an issue, when using a tool that has a lot of vibration (sander or jig saw (especially when cutting hard wood with the jig saw)) I wear a heavy pair of gloves. No specific brand recommendations other than using a good quality tool. I tried using a friend's cheapie 1/4 sheet sander yesterday and quit that in short order. Vibration matched the sanding job.....awful.

John-Paul Murphy
01-21-2008, 8:24 PM
Just an update
The 150 / 3 is on the way along with the ct22...:rolleyes:
took a while to swallow the $642 pill:(.

John-Paul Murphy
03-02-2008, 7:56 PM
Thought I would go ahead and post a follow up to this thread. The 150 / 3 has been in use for some time. A couple of weeks a go I used it to finish sand a hard wood floor rather than rent a larger floor sander. It was a small room about 15 x 15. Took a few hours to sand and finish. The 150 / 5 is great. No problems with vibration and the dust collection system is superb.
Many thanks to all who participated in this thread. :)